NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 10th, 2021, 23:16
NAXJA Forum User

JK D44

What machine are you currently welding with.
Building a drag link and trackbar is pretty straightforward though ill be on the other side of the fence when it comes to welding on the diff. Ive had quite a few welds go great with no cracking then soon as I think shit this is easy then I seem to get to watch one crack. Pretty sickening feeling.
I've had no cracks on outer Cs its the center that likes to school me. Thats even with pre and post heating. Cracks were with 035 flux core wire. 035 running solid wire might have been better since flux core is a harder more brittle filler material.

I shaved and plated my entire 8.25 axle diff bottom that went very well. Completly got rid the boat anchor lip and reshaped it to better slide over rocks. My 30 truss had a good size crack that I had to grind out and start over.

Good luck and yes you can do it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old June 11th, 2021, 03:49
NAXJA Forum User

JK D44

Post heat has been my savior. Takes me hours to complete one, but it's effective. Housing temps normally hit 600 after welding. Then I keep the torch going on the tubes and truss to help them match the temp of the center. It's not fast cooling that causes cracks, but rather the tubes chilling quickly and the heavy chunk staying hot due to the mass difference. The temperature differentiation happens right at the weld... This is why I post heat all the way down to 100 degrees.... Takes about 3 hours for the chunk to reach 100

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old June 11th, 2021, 05:34
NAXJA Member

Re: JK D44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan03 View Post
What machine are you currently welding with.
Building a drag link and trackbar is pretty straightforward though ill be on the other side of the fence when it comes to welding on the diff. Ive had quite a few welds go great with no cracking then soon as I think shit this is easy then I seem to get to watch one crack. Pretty sickening feeling.
I've had no cracks on outer Cs its the center that likes to school me. Thats even with pre and post heating. Cracks were with 035 flux core wire. 035 running solid wire might have been better since flux core is a harder more brittle filler material.

I shaved and plated my entire 8.25 axle diff bottom that went very well. Completly got rid the boat anchor lip and reshaped it to better slide over rocks. My 30 truss had a good size crack that I had to grind out and start over.

Good luck and yes you can do it.

I have a Lincoln Procore 85 AMPS. I use the .030 and .035 flux core wire. I have no problem at all welding steel up .25 inch with that machine.

My first career right out of school was a mechanic with a construction company. I learned welding on those heavy construction equipment. Of course, it was stick back then.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old June 11th, 2021, 06:27
NAXJA Forum User

JK D44

Good then you got this, now you just have to do or decide if its worth paying someone to do.

To me stick and wire is the same. If a guy sux at one he likely sux at the other saying he likes mig better. Lol.

If your confident in yourself and the machine I say go for it. If you don't have a torch you can get one for map gas for not a ton of money.

Old June 11th, 2021, 17:49
NAXJA Forum User

JK D44

Yeah man you've got this. I used a 110volt machine on one and it worked... I am gonna go against even03 on wire choice though. I prefer flux core for this core and I believe he liked solid wire. To each their own.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old June 11th, 2021, 18:50
NAXJA Member

Re: JK D44

https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.p...113607&page=43

Thanks to everyone who have taken the time to reply to my post. There are plenty of good ideas and advice given of which I am very grateful. However, I think I will be following GordoSmasho lead. He have the same D44 and installed 37 or 40 inch tires does extremely hard core rock crawling and have not installed a truss. I will remain on 31 inch tires and would never do those type of trails pictured in this tread.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.