NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 17th, 2021, 14:44
Stranger

Re: Joel's multipurpose XJ build (rocks/boulevard)

If you get the Afe header I will be interested in your opinion of it.

I like my Borla, but that header is no longer available, so I am going to eventually need to find another design to like. That Afe sounds like it has potential.

BTW, that link shows it as being sold out, so I hope it has not gone the direction of the Borla.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old May 17th, 2021, 19:04
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
If you get the Afe header I will be interested in your opinion of it....

BTW, that link shows it as being sold out, so I hope it has not gone the direction of the Borla.
Sold out to me! It should be here on Wednesday. For what it's worth the actual cheapest price I found was through these guys: https://mbenzgram.com/products/afe-4...36092549922971

MBenz had it for $655 plus a site wide 10% discount going and it should have been free shipping to Hawaii, even threw the header into the cart to be sure. That said, no one was picking up the phone when I called so I couldn't verify whether they had it in hand or were authorized dealers or not. I debated trying to do a Summit Racing price match, but Summit wants to drop ship from AFE and AFE wasn't picking up the phone either. I have family coming to visit in 10 days and I needed my jeep back on the road fast so I went with bird in hand and just did it.

Feels nice when the debate is done and you're moving forward.
-Joel

PS I have no relative motion of my existing MORE motor mounts when torqued against the brakes so I'm gonna leave those alone and keep an eye on them. Video of the test (boring but fairly illustrative).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4WeKi-DOSE
Old May 17th, 2021, 20:42
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post
I'd add Doug Thorley to the premium headers. I have one installed, another for my next build. I hear they do not flow as well and the Banks. Still. Also, mine are ceramic coated. I also have Bronn Dogs. I like them. Also, one s to look at are Stinky Fab and Ironman 4X4. I also have a BBK header for a 2000 TJ or XJ. It was cracked and I had it rewelded. They guy who did the welding didn't like the factory welds.
Thanks for the comments. I think my MORE mounts are okay, but if I ever need someone else, I think Stinkfab is a pretty rad company so good to know they're doing mounts too.

I can't comment on flow for Banks vs. Thorley since the designs are so different. I ruled out the Doug Thorley's early for other reasons... Mostly they looked like paying top shelf money for an odd take on the most common ATP layout.

The #1 runner appears to be excessively long and 3 and 4 seem to be excessively short. It uses the same basic stamped collector quite a few cheaper options run. The nail in coffin for me was when I ran across a few horror stories with unfulfilled warranty claims.

The good news on the Thorley is that if the welding is quality that should always justify some premium. Ceramic coating should help keep underhood temps down. However, at the end of the day these are just a hair below the AFE's which had more of what I care about. I wanted mine bare SS for ease of repair should that be needed. Since I shouldn't have overlooked them in writing up my list here's the info:

http://www.dougthorleyheaders.com/hd...-headers_15717
Old May 26th, 2021, 13:44
NAXJA Forum User

First off, Thank you for the solid thread that likely helps out more people than you will ever know. Most people get the info they need and move on with out any thanks (guilty, takes one to know one right?). And 2nd this gave me solid reading during the beginning stages of this mess when work was slow, so thank you for the entertainment as well.

On to the reason for the post-
That cleanup on the roof looks so much better! My hood and roof are in bad need of getting re-sprayed. I hate how shabby my already tired xj looks with peeling coats... Did you put color on also at the same time or did you just sand and clear coat? any tips for issues you ran into along the way? what kind of sprays did you use? Thnaks in advance - Kylan
Old June 10th, 2021, 15:06
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookDaddy View Post
First off, Thank you for the solid thread
That cleanup on the roof looks so much better! My hood and roof are in bad need of getting re-sprayed. I hate how shabby my already tired xj looks with peeling coats... Did you put color on also at the same time or did you just sand and clear coat? any tips for issues you ran into along the way? what kind of sprays did you use? Thnaks in advance - Kylan
Very welcome, of course. I actually find that writing this stuff down helps me remember what the hell I did later when it's time for the next project and I did the research for this one.

Paint. For starters, nothing beats two part automotive paint. Primer, base color, clear... with a good clean and scuff to the paint below, while using a single paint system to ensure compatibility... that's always going to be the best route and pretty much the cheapest two part paints are likely to perform better than the best of the spray paints.

My "go simple" approach was surface prep, color and clear spray paint. You probably want the color coat since it'll be hard to blend otherwise.

I personally think the Rustoleum Automotive Engine enamels are about as good as I've found.
https://smile.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-...dp/B002JG01VQ/

Duplicolor sells something similar but with a wider range of colors
https://smile.amazon.com/Dupli-Color...dp/B000B68V90/

I've also seen some of these at my local hardware stores (Home Depot etc) albeit never with the full selection Amazon has. The glosses are fairly shiny but doing a clear coat over the color will help it stay that way.

Some bits and pieces that I've learned the hard way over the years.

1) Stick within a single paint system whenever you can.
2) Pay attention to re-coat timing windows. You generally have a short window when you first shoot the next layer of something or else you need to wait longer for it to be more dry to shoot later. Middle dry is the risk stage so the "I'm tired, I'll get the next coat in the morning" approach almost always goes bad.
3) Prep matters. Expert opinions vary, but I suggest you want to be sanded to at least 220 grit, and everything needs a wipe down with a lint free cloth and denatured alcohol before you start.

Hope that helps!
-Joel

Last edited by frijolee; June 10th, 2021 at 20:03.