• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 xj part time 4wd only

Chad1984

NAXJA Forum User
It seems like the last couple times I've taken my xj out to the bogs it only wants to go into part time 4wd.. I had it in 4 lo one time but it seemed to kick it out and then it wouldn't move anymore but then I put it into part time and it was fine any help would be greatly appreciated

I think he means 4Hi

Sounds like the linkage needs adjustment

88 renix has that vacum bs o the axle when i got mine thatd the first thing i removed firdt i made it fill time then i ended up swapping to 90 up axle

It seems like the last couple times I've taken my xj out to the bogs it only wants to go into part time 4wd.. I had it in 4 lo one time but it seemed to kick it out and then it wouldn't move anymore but then I put it into part time and it was fine any help would be greatly appreciated

Do you have an np242?

My 88 has on selector full time 4wd, part time 4wd,neutral, and 4 lo ..and I can't recall what transfer case I have I'll let you know when I get home this evening

My 88 has on selector full time 4wd, part time 4wd,neutral, and 4 lo ..and I can't recall what transfer case I have I'll let you know when I get home this evening

NP242 if you have full time.

You need to get under the Jeep and clean and adjust the linkage

88 renix has that vacum bs o the axle when i got mine thatd the first thing i removed firdt i made it fill time then i ended up swapping to 90 up axle

Full time is a transfer case setting that lets you use 4wd on pavement.

Getting rid of the vacuum disconnect does not give you full time 4wd

And, the vacuum disconnect was NOT used on NP242 either.

Shifting the NP/NV242J Selec-Trac Transfer Case

2WD Position
This position is for driving on hard-surfaced roads under normal driving conditions when 4-wheel drive is not desired.

4x4 PART TIME Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when on-or off-road conditions such as deep snow or heavy ice require increased traction. When engaged, both the front and the rear axles are mechanically locked together and turn at the same speed. Do not use 4x4 PART TIME on dry, paved roads.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 PART TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 PART TIME is selected.

4x4 FULL TIME Position
This is the primary 4-wheel drive position, which offers better traction when roads are wet, snow covered or icy. When engaged, the front and rear wheels axles are permitted to turn at different speeds to enhance maneuverability. Use 4x4 FULL TIME year-round on all road surfaces if you wish.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 FULL TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed. When shifting, do it in a swift and firm movement.

When shifting from 2WD through 4x4 PART TIME to 4x4 FULL TIME, two momentary releases of the accelerator may be required after shifting.

A green FULL TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 FULL TIME is selected.

4 LO Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when off-road conditions require added low speed pulling power. Do not use 4 LO on dry, paved roads.

To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h), shift the transmission into Neutral (N), then shift the transfer case lever to Neutral, then to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4 LO.

Never attempt to engage Low Range when the vehicle is moving faster than 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h). Transfer case damage may result.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4 LO is selected.

Back