• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" lift with long arms... possible??

a_hiatt

NAXJA Forum User
ive got a 4.5" RC lift right now and im slowly upgrading some things right now, and im thinking of converting to a long arm kit.. getting the materials and welding isnt a problem. i'm just wondering if it's possible and feasible enough to try. i might be able to get ahold of some lca's, but if not, is it impossible to make them

and also, what all would i need to do this..

Yes, 4.5" is enough for long arms.

There is alot of different answers to what you need. You can buy pre-made arms, crossmembers, or all together, or build everything yourself.

has anyone made there own long arms?

im thinking the crossmember would be a piece of cake, and even the arms couldnt be that bad, but im just wondering what all it would take to make the arms.. and if there is something i dont know

a_hiatt said:

im thinking the crossmember would be a piece of cake, and even the arms couldnt be that bad, but im just wondering what all it would take to make the arms.. and if there is something i dont know

Yes plenty of people have made their own arms. The only kit, I'd run off the shelf is Clayton's but it only has one setback but that's because it's made to fit many different rigs with very little problems, not a one off custom setup.

Some people have used RE's TJ long arms and made their own mounts. There are pe

There is only one way to mount radius style long arms IMHO. Above the framerails like this. See how from the side you can't see the arms really.

RETJLA.jpg

BillSide.JPG

There are people that build them with the arms lower then the frame rails, etc, you might get caught up on them, you might not. I just don't like the idea of that, and with such a low suspension height, you would be better off with the mounts tucked up.

There are tons of different ideas to how long arms truely should be (true 4link, 3link, radius arms). Some people have used RE's TJ long arms and made their own mounts. There are plenty of threads on this subject on here, search, read and figure out what you like best, then go from there.

Heres mine,400$ for everything(chromoly tubing,RE Superflex joints,all new bushings,etc).
Long Arms

a_hiatt said:

Check with old man on this site he has a write up on it.

Here is the writeup. I haven't finished the writeup but they work well. I beat the hell out of them and have now trashed two track bars and the long arms are still holding up. My design does not modify the cross member, so my arms are a bit shorter, but I have not found that to be a detriment. I do recommend adding limiting straps, otherwise you will fubar your shocks. Don't bother asking me how I know.

http://www.4x4getaways.com/LongArms.htm

To much loss of ground clearance!Mount them inboard and up,works awsome!Still havent managed to hit them on anything!
mvc-007f.jpg

Would oem style rubber bushings ride better and last longer than superflex and johnny joints on LCA's? How much articulation do you actually gain with flex joints? Is it worth the money? Just curious.

The superflex joints ride pretty harshly because they don't "give" like rubber or poly "gives".

Ive got rubber bushings everywhere but at the frame,it rides like a Caddy with no noise or harshness!

Back