• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I dumped the 86 CV axle shafts for newer 297 TJ axle shafts.

DaveB

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got around to dumping my old CV joint axle shafts in my old 86 XJ front dana 30 that has nearly 300 K miles on it. I swapped in the axle shafts from a 99 TJ with the bigger u joints (no rubber boots to replace any more). I also swapped a bunch of other parts on to the axle from the TJ and was surprised to find that everything fit with out any troubles. I swapped all of the brake parts, steering knuckles, track bar, and steering tie rods and drag links. It turns out that the TJ pitman to drag link joint is heavier duty than the one on my old 86. What really surprised me is that the toe in was correct without having to adjust anything ! And since the 99 only had 19K miles on it everything is a lot tighter now. I just wish that taking off the old rusty parts had gone as easily as putting on the tj parts.

Dave
86(/92/93/99) mixed up XJ
84 really mixed up CJ8

Swapping the outer knuckles was the key. Everything else bolts to them.
I'll bet the steering's like a new one! :cheers:

Back