• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light/Fuel smell

USAF007

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, well my check engine light on my 00 Sport (4.0) came on after the fiance lost the gas cap, and put one of the lockable aftermarket ones on. No big deal, or so i thought. Tonight, I noticed a VERY strong fuel smell in the cab, almost so strong i thought fuel had actually spilled into the cab. Any ideas? Seems to be running just fine, no sputtering, no hesitation, etc. just the really strong fuel smell?

I have heard of some people having CEL issues with locking caps. But shouldn't smell that bad from that.
Check the code, maybe your O2 sensor failing or there really is a fuel leak somewhere.
Do not remember if our heeps are vented thru the tank or the cap.

What is the code? Likely p0455 - emissions leak - large.

Open the hood and watch it run. Use a flashlight (even in the daytime) to search for any fuel dripping from the injectors and/or fuel rail. You do NOT want fuel dripping on to your hot exhaust manifold...extreme fire danger.

If it's just fumes from the tank I'd agree with the wrong cap. Locking caps are notorius (at least in my experience) for putting all the effort in to the locking but not the sealing.

Back