• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Options

So bad news guys...went to get the truck aligned last night and the right front is toed in -1.8 degrees. So now it's time to make a decision, try returning the axle to the JY it came from or deal with it. I'm sure it'll chew up tires like no tomorrow and I'd like to keep it on the road not just offroad...

Any advice? How would I go about checking an axle before buying it?

so... adjust the toe.

i cant remember what spec is, i always do the tape measure method with no issues. but toe is adjusted with your steering linkage. did you just swap the steering from one axle to another?

Wow, I must still be sleeping. I meant camber, my apologies. They fixed the toe, I had it close but they got it dialed in. I put all new Moog steering parts on it with the ZJ tie rod.

lol. that makes more sense.

whats spec for camber?

He didn't specify just said it should be as close to 0 as possible. I'm just a little hesitant to throw hundreds of dollars in offset ball joints at a JY axle. I haven't called the JY yet so we'll see what they say.

They make offset ball joints to correct any camber/caster needs!

They make offset ball joints to correct any camber/caster needs!

I looked at the ones on the NAPA website and I'm glad I was sitting down lol. I'm not going to spend $100's on ball joints. That's not really fixing the issue and without knowing if the outer C is bent or if the axle tube is bent really doesn't settle well with me either. I've also read that they ware quickly and Dana never designed these axles to utilize this technology. I bought this with intentions of building it up this winter or next year. I'd rather just start with a straight axle. The JY will give me back what I paid, so that's the silver lining at this point.

Now your just dreaming! If you want a perfect axle call Currie or Dynatrac, but in the production Jeep world it's not going to happen!

Now your just dreaming! If you want a perfect axle call Currie or Dynatrac, but in the production Jeep world it's not going to happen!

Not looking for perfect but if they're all bent or damaged I'll take my chances with one at a fraction of the cost. In my opinion $300 is a lot for a used axle but with the lower miles this one had, I felt it was worth it.

If your camber is off 1.8 degrees there is an issue.
Seems like the alignment shop could tell if it was bent or a bad ball joint

I recomend leveling it as best you can pulling the knuckles off and putting an angle finder on the c before you pull the thing back out

I've never seen a D30 that had indentical numbers on both sides! Even my 2k(bought new) didn't from the factory!
BTW, offset BJ's have been used at the factory for years.
Also be aware of the fact that most alignment shop use specs for a factory configuration not lifted Jeeps!

Last edited:
I'm going to take it to a shop that actually works on lifted vehicles and get a second opinion. I'm also going to check the ball joints and make sure there's no issues there first, this axle did come from a junk yard after all. Also figured rotating the tires would be a good idea to try, they may be worn funny from the PO. I just don't trust the big chain places, this is just one of those things that I can't really dial in on my own. Again not seeking perfect, c'mon it's a Jeep lol but I think I can do better that what it is now. Funny thing is, it does 70+ with no sway or stabilizer just fine. Thanks for the pointers guys, I'll check back in next week.

^^^ That plus mine has driven perfect with about 3 different lifts for 17yrs and never seen a alignment shop!!!

Agreed. If you drop the shocks, track bar and steering linkage that is true. But let's not give the guy the false impression that just disconnecting the shocks will get the job done without a compressor.

That depends on what shocks, trackbar and steering you are running.

I can remove my coils by just removing the shocks and limit straps.

That depends on what shocks, trackbar and steering you are running.

I can remove my coils by just removing the shocks and limit straps.

True, but you should probably take into consideration that the original question was about a stock, '96 XJ and he was wondering what tools he would need to pull the coils. That is what we were discussing.

Anything is possible if you don't stick with the context... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nope. I like to help people. You just seem to always miss the facts:

Rookie question alert: When one is removing the front D30, do you have to compress the coils? Found a guy parting out a 96 and it's essentially free, if I can get it off but I want to be prepared tools wise and I don't have a spring compressor.

Try to keep up. We weren't talking about his modified '98.

When was I "being an ass?"

Last edited:
Nope. I like to help people. You just seem to always miss the facts:

Try to keep up. We weren't talking about his modified '98.

When was I "being an ass?"

Basically every post this month? :)

Back