• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Can Recommendations for Roof Rack

Lost_Wrench

NAXJA Forum User
I have an EAG gutter mounted flat roof rack on my 96 XJ. I want to be able to mount a gas to it on occasion and was looking at the roto-pax style gas cans since it could go up there and lay flat. From what I understand the roto pax receptacles can be stored flat or sideways without leaking? I usually see them mounted upright to the side of people's rigs somehow but I definitely would want to mount mine flat on top of the roof rack. Has anyone tried this and had issues with gas leaking out the cap? I don't have (or want) a rear tire carrier so it's either this or I found a hitch reciever mount for traditional jerry cans but then I would have to remove it to open the tailgate every time. Another problem I'm finding is most places are sold out of roto pax cans but there is a cheaper roto pax style can from wintools on Amazon, anyone use them? Thanks!

Before you go all in on that, look into how much a Rotopax will swell in the sun. I seem to recall some folks having issues with the situation you are describing.

One factor may be the amount of time the can is up there. If you are looking at this as only an occasional scenario you may be okay.

I would be real hesitant to go with a cheaper knock-off.

Also consider increasing your gas tank size so you can keep the CG as low as possible. There are a couple of gas tank solutions for your year.

The only option I am aware of is the vent mod. What else is there for a '96?

I talked to GenRight and was told that their tank was an absolute non-starter for a '96. The same reasons that preclude that option will also preclude a ZJ tank.

The only option I am aware of is the vent mod. What else is there for a '96?

I talked to GenRight and was told that their tank was an absolute non-starter for a '96. The same reasons that preclude that option will also preclude a ZJ tank.

I would wonder if the Boostwerks Fuel pump upgrade would solve the problem. Is it a space issue, or the fuel return line, that prevents this?

IIRC, the challenge is in the wiring. Things like the fuel gauge operating on a different range.

IIRC, the challenge is in the wiring. Things like the fuel gauge operating on a different range.

The Boostwerks uses an adjustable. Could also use a 91-95 fuel rail. As that is where thy have their fuel pressure regulator. Some also bump the fuel pressure on the earlier XJs. I see the main issue as, that the ZJ's Fuel tank fits the space, and that the location of the 'new' fuel pump does not interfere with the sheet metal. The return line is already there. I am looking for PN for that return line.

Interesting, I didn't realize the tank could be modified to accept more fuel.

I did read that those roto pax cans need to be vented regularly if out in the sun, and no it wouldn't be up there all the time, just for certain trips.

It's a cheap mod but well worth it. I now hold 28gal and my cruising range is just over 500 miles on a single tank. I'm still running on my last fill-up of $3.50 gas which is now $4.70!

It's $4.03 a gallon in my area of the world , I stopped for gas last week the person who used the pump before I got there had bought $125.00 in gas it was $4.09 a gallon then.

I did buy this Spectra replacement tank and it was 20 gallons from Amazon linky mine was all dented on the bottom so I had problems fueling up and only held 15 gallons.

I had had a 5 gallon Rotopax flat before but not on the roof, no problems with leaking but did kinda swell... well it was in a civic's trunk during 100*+ summer heat.

If you do go Rotopax I suggest picking up a normal spout no the safety no spill crap. I have broken 2 twisting it too much but that was because I was hurrying a bit and not being careful. Also the 5 gallon is long and can get awkward holding uprightish and pouring especially with the safety spout, it does take a while to pour - I feel like those Nascar pit guys refilling the car. Personally I would get 2 2.5 gallons stacked but a 5 gallon would fit good on your rack.

I swapped in a zj tank and now hold about 23gallons. I only get about 15mpg on the hyway so my range is about 340miles. But on the trail i get better range than most. Manual trans and 2wd low make a huge difference though. Way less effort on the trail.

I dont carry extra fuel anymore.

Last edited:
I swapped in a zj tank and now hold about 23gallons. I only get about 15mpg on the hyway so my range is about 340miles. But on the trail i get better range than most. Manual trans and 2wd low make a huge difference though. Way less effort on the trail.

I dont carry extra fuel anymore.
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1131307

Looks like a bit of work to get it to fit. How was your experience?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Hi, which year zj tank did you use and was it a simple swap?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Zj are 93-98. I think any year will work. I dont even remember what year i got. It was a pretty straightforward swap. It fit in my tomken gas skid. The straps are in the same locations. It bulges forward a bit more than the stock xj tank but it fit just fine. Xj fuel assembly fit in just fine. All the line hookups were the same. I didn’t modify the breather. Its a little over 23 gallons to fill from empty.

Back