• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommend body shop in DC or MD?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a little frustrated and sick right now. I've put a lot of time and money into the Heep over the past month and a half or so in an attempt to get it driving right and install a trailer hitch. Right now I'm taking a break from grinding off the last two bolts holding the skidplate on, but I've found that the "frame" on the passenger side over the rear axle where the bump stop used to be is all rusted through. This is new, the last time I was under there to mess with the exhaust, the rubber was gone but everything else was still there. Now the reinforcement that went under the bump stop was hanging free and I ripped it off with my bare hands and there's a big hole underneath.

I don't have a welder nor do I have the time or space to deal with this. I'd like to have it fixed though as I would like to pull a trailer with this and obviously that would require that everything be nice and strong. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

I had the exact same rust area on my xj I had a feller weld er up for me after he finished with that he pointed out more rust on the frame behind the trailer hitch area I drove it a few more months when my inspection sticker expired I sold the jeep for parts.

I had the exact same rust area on my xj I had a feller weld er up for me after he finished with that he pointed out more rust on the frame behind the trailer hitch area I drove it a few more months when my inspection sticker expired I sold the jeep for parts.

I'll find out here in hopefully an hour or so if I have the same issue. Right now, I am waiting for the compressor to pump up because I need to grind off the front most bolt on the pass side nut strip which is the last thing keeping me from dropping the skid plate.

Usually with vehicles from that area you can only see a little of the rusting that's going on. Before I committed it to towing I would run a bore scope down the frame-rails to determine what your really up against!

Heh, I can do better, I just cut out the rear plate to fish out the mangled remains of the nut strip; fine so far (fingers crossed) surface rust only and I'll obviously coat it before I put new strips in

Back