• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i just finished aw4 to ax15 swap.. dash, blinkers, and tail/brake lights not working

nev3636

NAXJA Forum User
i just joined this forum about 2 minutes ago so forgive me if i am doing something wrong, but here is my issue. i just finished swapping my aw4 for an ax15. all went well as far as mechanical aspects. when i started it i had no gauges working, no brake/tail lights, and no blinkers. i have a 98 xj 4.0, and it was an auto. i took the ax15 out of a 97, along with the clutch, flywheel, and ECU. to get the jeep to start i spliced the 7 and 8 wires on the gray harness that goes to the nss (bypassed the nss)... i checked all fuses and they are good. the other harness (black one) that went to the aw4 were speed sensors. im not sure what the other wires on the (grey harness) neutral safety module thing do but i am guessing they might have something to do with the dash and other lighting issues? anyone know what i should do here?

You aren't doing anything wrong (except it looks like you accidentally double posted, lol), and welcome!
Those things don't have anything to do with the ECU. It really sounds like you have a blown fuse...have you checked the ones under the hood?
The NSS affects weather or not it will start as well as the reverse lights. You said you spliced wires together here, so there's a chance you shorted out the back up lights, therefore blowing a fuse.
The main harness to the AW4 controls the shift and tc lockup solenoids, so it won't have to do with that either. Your speed sender is on the transfer case.

You're probably going to get a CEL without a manual programmed ECU, but it will drive fine.

Sounds like a fuse to me, check the blue 15A minifuses in the PDC. I blew the engine management system one wheeling my 98 a while ago due to a shorted O2 sensor harness and ended up swapping out another of the 15A minifuses for it in the middle of the woods to get home, it worked great but exactly the things you listed stopped working when I did it.

All fuses are good.. I found the problem, when i swapped out the pedal assembly the new one was bigger with the clutch and it knocked loose the junction block on the driers side i wiggled it and everything works properly now. Thanks alot for your suggestions and help.

Glad you got it fixed! And thanks for posting up the resolution, I never would have expected that to be the problem.

Back