• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy fuel pump

ebxjbob

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched this and havn't answered my own question. Should the fuel pump be quiet or should be it make a little noise, I have a 96 4.0 auto and if i'm sitting in it w/o the radio on I can hear the fuel pump making a little noise as well as when i'm standing outside the truck, the plastic cover with the insulation on the tailgate isn't there so I get more noise anyways, and my old blazer used to make the same noise along with every other chevy truck i've heard. Problem is I don't remember my 94 making any noise at all, so should it be quiet?

can't help with your question really, but my lift gate has nothing on it and i have no carpet. mine's pretty loud. i didn't think anything of it.i just figured all the sound deadening was now gone and that's why i could hear it.

I've heard conflicting stories. I have a 96' with bare metal in the back. I just got it a year ago and since i got it, the fuel pump has whined like a banshee! I asked the same question and a guy who used to drive them in Korea for the military, he said the one he drove also whined terribly but never gave out, never had a problem. I've heard other guys say that it usually starts whining when you've ran it close to empty for a long time and it burns the fuel pump, they say that it could give out at anytime and should be replaced when noisy. Others say that they always whine and it's just normal. Without carpet in the back it sure is loud, but mine has been whining for over a year w/ no probs!

Back