• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you think, hood mount high lift

RedJeep2.0

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I wanna mount my high lift on to the hood of my xj.
Cuz I love my high lift and I don't want it on my bumper cuz if I get hit or it falls off I won't see it.
I'm going to use the bumper mout for the high lift and add washers to it and mount it on my hood. At the back close to the windshield. But so I can open the hood with the high lift on!

What do you think?
I seen a tj do it.

Not a good idea for visibility or the weight on the hood (structure). Put is on the roof.

Michael

Mount it behind the rear seat.

c2.jpg

Yea I have a cage, but there is a company that makes a kit that hooks into where the rear seat top mount is.

-Alex

I wanna mount my high lift on to the hood of my xj.
Cuz I love my high lift and I don't want it on my bumper cuz if I get hit or it falls off I won't see it.
I'm going to use the bumper mout for the high lift and add washers to it and mount it on my hood. At the back close to the windshield. But so I can open the hood with the high lift on!

What do you think?
I seen a tj do it.

not only is there the visibility issue. when i had lights on top of the bumper stinger they drove me nuts trying to look through and around them. but there is also the what if factor.....if you do have an accident and it breaks loose at high speed and it comes thru the windsheild :wierd: or someone elses rear window.....OUCH !

Ive seen a few TJs with this also, and it looks cool, but i dont know about on an XJ, I thought about it before, but I'm with Mojo as far as it being annoying to look around, i get annoyed at my CB antenna lol.

Top would be good, but it could get hung up, at least the trails I'm on alot of the time, which are more ATV trails then anything.

What about on the rear hatch? low on the bottom, Not sure if the fiberglass hatch would support it but if you dont want in inside or on the bumpers, the hatch should be protected for the most part by the bumper. Might not work, who knows it just poped in my head :idea:

and as far as Hight speed crashes and it flying off Mojo, wouldent be any worse then on the top. :dunno:

Ok so bad idea!
Now I'm thinking roof?
Hmmm....

Any ideas?
I don't have a baskit.
I have no stock roof rack.
I do have 2 bars that go to my gutters

Ok so bad idea!
Now I'm thinking roof?
Hmmm....

Any ideas?
I don't have a baskit.
I have no stock roof rack.
I do have 2 bars that go to my gutters

I don't understand?
You have 2 bars that go to your gutters? What is this?

You need to find a location that will support the weight of the hi-lift in an accident or roll over and won't come loose.
Bumpers are great, the roof has enough structure in a few areas (not all of it). Gutter mounted rack would support it.
As far as holding it, There are brackets available or you can come up with your own solutions.

Michael

I had mine on the roof on my old jeep, i didnt notice that it got hung up on a low hanging branch and it bent the sh!t out of my roof.
I put mine under the back seat now, its a snug fit, you have to remove the base of it, but it keeps your center of gravity low which is a plus, and it keeps it out of the weather which helps keep the jack operating smoothly

my 2 pennys..

Ok
Back to not knowing what to do with it.
I like the idea of bolting it to the back upper part of the back seat.
That way up or down its held down.

I had mine on the roof on my old jeep, i didnt notice that it got hung up on a low hanging branch and it bent the sh!t out of my roof.
I put mine under the back seat now, its a snug fit, you have to remove the base of it, but it keeps your center of gravity low which is a plus, and it keeps it out of the weather which helps keep the jack operating smoothly

my 2 pennys..

Like I stated:
the roof has enough structure in a few areas (not all of it)
You are correct that being out in elements is a little harder on the Hi-lift. I have had mine kept on the roof of two different vehicles for over 15 years and with a very small amount of maintenance it has always worked flawlessly.

Michael

yeah, the roof does have the structure in places and its a good place to mount it if your not worried about it getting caught on a branch when wheelin.
i was just really bummed when i bent the shit out of my roof so i dont like that method any more!

And maintnence on a hi lift is pretty minimal, they're practicaly bullet proof, i try to oil mine everytime i use it but mine is a very well used hand me down!!

Last edited:
Like I said before, there is a company that makes a bolt on mount that connects right behind the rear seat to hold the hi-lift. Search around and you will probably find it.

-Alex

I use to have my high lift mounted on my yj, and it worked ok but there defentally were visual issues. Also the wrangler hood seemed stronger because of the large curves on the sides.

Mounted mine to the edge of the roof rails. easy to get to and havnt had any issues with it. Just used bolts, washers, and plastic wingnuts from ace hardware.

belfair073.jpg

XJ005.jpg

XJ007.jpg

Back