• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To: Mount Alternator High Using the WJ 4.0L Bracket

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
So, though I'd throw another quite write-up out there, as I haven't come across one for this yet.

This mod is for those who do not plan on using their AC, or plan on mounting it elsewhere.

As you can see this is going on a "normal" XJ, but it should still apply.

This was done on a '98 motor, mounting holes may differ between years (i'm not sure of other years mounting patterns).

***Disclaimer: This mod is "somewhat" non-reversible, you will see why.***

So if you've followed my build in the Hardcore section, you will know i'm very anal retentive about how things look AND how they function.

Well, this was not one of those times where I went above and beyond :D

Step 1:

Acquire a 4.0L WJ Alternator bracket (with tensioner if you want to make life easier). I cleaned mine up a wee bit since it was covered in grime.

20140205_160415_zpsb8843dbe.jpg

Step 2:

Remove all the old stuff, giving you the following:
* The bolt holes in red are the mounting points that will be utilized*

20140205_151556_HL_zps5358febd.jpg

Trim the old bolt hole for the alternator on the timing case, this part is non-reversible. (this is where my anal retentiveness went out the window :D)

20140205_151618_zps40567a2d.jpg

Step 3: Make bracket

Front side:

20140205_160501_zps729e6005.jpg

Back Side:
* Nut welded to back side to act as a spacer (didn't have spare tube steel that small lying around). It is a roughly 1/2" gap between the 1/4" steel I used and the mounting point on the black. Several fins were cut on the back side of the WJ bracket to give it a flat backside that the fabricated bracket could mount to.

20140205_160526_zps01e0d4e2.jpg

Step 4:

Mount fabricated bracket to WJ bracket like so:

20140205_163718_zps8ee6498e.jpg

Step 6: Mount to block like so:

20140205_164527_zps80404d72.jpg

And your done! Well...other than actually mounting the alternator :D

If anyone is wondering if the three mounting point are "strong enough," I can rock my whole rig just by the bracket. :D

Any questions?

That's a nice, quick write-up. I can't tell without physically looking at the area, but could you trim the section on just the cover, leaving the part on the block? In case you wanted to reverse the mod? You'd need to source a new cover, but you would be able to restore it to factory. Or am I way out in left field? LOL

I do actually suppose you could do that, I just cut it straight across as I didn't feel like removing the cover. I can take a look tonight and see if anything on the bracket would hit, and if so if it isn't something you could cut off the bracket.

What size belt did you end up going with after this mod. Clean and simple i like it.

Waiting to pick it up this evening...going to try a 68.5" belt.

But my routing is shorter due to how things are mounted, as I have no AC, my Hydro pump is mounted lower, and I don't have any idler pulleys.

Though having an automatic tensioner is SO much better than having to tighten "by hand"

:D

Pretty cool trick. Seeing how I took out my AC and my alternator just stopped working I might try this out. My one question:

What did the lower portion of this bracket mount to before on a WJ? was the AC compressor below? or is the block casting different?

Back