• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Strap

dubbinxj

NAXJA Forum User
What's a good brand tow (yank) strap to get? What are the differences among them? Looking at getting at least 30'. I see a bunch from different makers but can't make up my mind. Also, where's the best place I can get 'em for a good price? Thanks, all! :peace:

-Charles

edit: I'm looking for the straps that are closed loop not with the hook.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
i had a pro comp 4" (or 3" if forget...the biggest one they make) x 30' and ill swear by those the rest of my life. i watched my baby get abused by two big chevies :tear: and it took it all

bshaw said:

That about covers the general idea I had in mind. Thanks again.
As far as different manufacturers/vendors, is one better than the other.

small pederson said:
i had a pro comp 4" (or 3" if forget...the biggest one they make) x 30' and ill swear by those the rest of my life. i watched my baby get abused by two big chevies :tear: and it took it all

I got 1 vote for Procomp.
Anyone else have different views/experiences with other recovery straps?

Thanks again all!
-charles

small pederson said:
I pulled Dad's Chevy flatbed up a muddy hill a year and a half ago, loaded down to around 28,000 lbs. With a 90hp 4wd field tractor. With all 4 wheels spinning, WOT and blowing black smoke with a 4" ProComp strap. One other thing..... 3 trips!

Dad & my brother are now believers in straps.

ChiXJeff said:
I pulled Dad's Chevy flatbed up a muddy hill a year and a half ago, loaded down to around 28,000 lbs. With a 90hp 4wd field tractor. With all 4 wheels spinning, WOT and blowing black smoke with a 4" ProComp strap. One other thing..... 3 trips!

Dad & my brother are now believers in straps.

Thanks, ChiXJeff. 2 for ProComp. Hmmmm....
I didn't even think of Procomp at first. I was looking at Keeper, ARB ($$$$$),
Master-Pull, etc.

Any more testimonies?

When I got mine I looked at a few, Warn was the most expensive, Rock<something> was about $20 cheaper but had two nice features I liked. It has to kevlar sleeves about 1ft long on each end which allow the sleeves to slide, handy when grabbing someone and having it go over some sharp edges. It's in my sons TJ now :tear: Picked up two more, 2"x25', 19,600lb, $25 ea, one for my XJ and the other for my daughters TJ, no name on them but they also have the two sleeves that slide.

Red97XJ said:
whats wrong with the walmart yellow specials?

I have two, so far so good.
Personally, this is just somthing that I don't want my life (possibly) in the hands of a cheap Wal-Mart off brand.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Wal Mart for other things.

is it possible to get too big off a towstrap? i have a 6"x30' with 60k# breakage.

Ramsey said:
is it possible to get too big off a towstrap? i have a 6"x30' with 60k# breakage.

thats WAY too big. ship it to me and i'll send you a much safer 2" x 30' 20k lb strap. you pay shipping of course since i'm doing you a favor.

14 messages and NO mention so far of the Golden Rule - NO METAL HOOKS!!! I agree with Okie T, I'd rather not trust my life in the hands of the cheap Chinese crap from Wal-Mart.

Back