• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo Gear/ pinon speedo drive?!!!

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
Flippin stealership has ripped me off x3! I am going nuts!

I purcahsed the 30 tooth for my xj, 3.55 gears in my 8.25 with 33" tires, i have the 34 tooth stock.

According to everyone, the 30 tooth is my right one, but after buying ti 3 times over, each time a different shaft size, I am going crazy because none of them fit!!!

heres a picture of mine on the left and the one i have ordered on the right.

front.jpg

what do i do now? do i heat mine them up and swap shafts? any one?!

doesnt the 30th tooth just seem WAY to small to even make contact with the shaft for a correct speed???
top.jpg
or is it ok? I installed a shorter shaft 30t but it never read on my speedo and popped a CEL!!! this is making me flippin crazy!

its a 1993, i am stuck right in the middle, but i have a electronic sensor.... either way, i think the short haft wont fit but i am currently heating them up and swapping shafts to see what i can make here...

well i followed go-jeeps info off his site and ended up with this:
after.jpg

as you can see i really slammed the stock 34 tooth in the vice, i pray thsi works or else i am screwed.

caution, after using the heat gun on it i forgot how hot it was and i have an owie...

no advice? i plugged it in and it never made contact with the drive shaft so i have no speedo... i was told that if i index the adapter it would work... any one done this before?

The adapter should have four "clock" positions on it, each with a small range of numbers. There is a slight offset to the adapter itself to allow this.

You might have to clean your adapter, and then look for those numbers. Pick the range that corresponds to your gear tooth count, and then index that mark to 6 o'clock position as installed (per 1994 FSM...)

HTH.

5-90

quick question, the range that applies to me indexed on the adapter should be pointed at the 6 or 2 o clock position??? does it have to be lined up with the fork???

6:00. According to my 1994 FSM, and several other FSMs I have on the shelf... There is no "index notch" on the case, and it seems that you "clock" the writing, rather than the hash mark next to it.

Don't suppose I can talk you out of the gears you don't need, could I? I could use them to take measurements for projects I've got in mind...

5-90

i've read up on your gearing project, i melted my stock 34 tooth gear. if you still want it then be my guest, the head is also pinched from the vice... arg, look at the picture above.

also 5-90, my speedo is still non-op, the shaft on the main peice seems to be loose when coming in and out of the housing, is it broken? could this be why it's not working? i think i've dug my self a hole in between swapping shafts and taking apart the adapter piece...

You just just rotate the housing clockwise under you feel the gears engaging. Then back off until you can fit the holding fork in place in the slots provided for it. You should then be able to read a couple of numbers that your gear tooth number fall within from underneath.

i think my speedo unit is broke wang. I'll order a new one today and see what this brings me... thanks go-jeep! i was waiting for your reply!

problem: a 20$ speedo unit that the speedo gear fits into.
i have a speedo that works, finally.

Back