• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ knuckle swap JKS steering question

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody who has done this swap and used the JKS tie rods with WJ TRE's on a Dana 30. Also I have done a Tie Rod Flip using Goferit offroad inserts. I am having trouble with the passenger side sway bar interfering with the steering linkage between the pass knuckle and the pitman arm. Can anyone show me a picture and give me a list of which TRE part number you used in each location including the driver and pass TRE and driver and pass steering link. I do have the Right Hand Drive TRE installed on the passenger side tie rod connection. I am afraid that I have all the right TRE's but just them swapped around in the wrong locations although I cannot figure out a different setup that improves my situation. And of course I know I should have went with 1-ton TRE's but i didnt so can anyone help me here.

Thanks
Rick

That sounds good on paper but i dont have the cash to do the one ton setup at this time but i do need my swaybar hooked up up front since i daily drive my jeep.. I currently ride with out it but i dont like it withou unless its on the trail.. Thanks for the suggestion but for now i need to fix what i have

JKS makes extended sway bar brackets, probably specifically for this purpose. Cut off the stock brackets and finish your steering, then worry about the sway bar.

I've been very particular the last few years about keeping my front sway bar connected because I drove my Jeep on the street quite a bit. After I redid my front suspension and the sway bar links interfered, I've been running without it for a while. It's not bad as long as you drive the jeep like a jeep and not a sports car. Haven't had a problem yet. Ideally, I'll be putting the sway bar back on at some point, but I just haven't had the time and haven't be driving the jeep.

As far as the tie rods go, if you've put a goferit insert in every hole on the steering, for the tie rod, you use the stock LHD TRE's, just switch sides when you flip them over. For the drag link on the knuckle side, you'd want the RHD version of that same TRE. The one on the pitman arm should be good as long as it's not offset like the rest.

Like sunburned said. When you switch to otk steering with the wj parts you are going to have to relocate your sway bar end links. Buy the parts from JKS and weld them on.

Might as well order the 2" ones if they aren't any more expensive. You can always cut that 2" off. (I think you have to order 2 of them btw. I ordered them once and only got one lol)

I made some out of 3/8 plate for the driver's, and cut off the stock mount and reused it for the passenger, welded them to the inside of the coil buckets I made.

3-link3007.jpg

3-link3010.jpg

If you go with the Jks 2" brackets, and plan on taking corners, I suggest bracing them. Maybe weld a 3/4" strip of plate to the back of them so the cross section is T shaped. Mine twisted significantly to the point where they hit my steering, and now im kicking myself for not doing it before everything was painted/ installed.

If you go with the Jks 2" brackets, and plan on taking corners, I suggest bracing them. Maybe weld a 3/4" strip of plate to the back of them so the cross section is T shaped. Mine twisted significantly to the point where they hit my steering, and now im kicking myself for not doing it before everything was painted/ installed.

Mike L in So Cal has a pair of JKS sway bar mounts FS.

Back