• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No SYE yet...shim?

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
We'll I'm going to be redoing my rear and I plan to get an SYE eventually. I have a t-case drop now...I'm putting new leaves and an 8.25(29spl) in the rear should I shim it, so I won't have to take it back apart again later?

Will I get vibes or anything having it shimmed up with no SYE?

i would get some if i were you, it would be helpful to have the year of your jeep, but im assuming its a 96+, I was getting vibes even with a small lift and a t-case drop, they never stop go for the sye it is a awsome setup.

With no SYE, you want the rear axle's pinion to be parallel to the output of the transfer case (under load). With an SYE, you want the rear axle's pinion to point directly at the transfer case (under load). If you shim the rear axle to point at the t-case, when you don't have an SYE, you will probably get vibes.

You may need to use shims to set the pinion parallel to the t-case output though. And if you get an SYE in the future, you'll need to re-shim it.

Mambeu said:
With no SYE, you want the rear axle's pinion to be parallel to the output of the transfer case (under load). With an SYE, you want the rear axle's pinion to point directly at the transfer case (under load). If you shim the rear axle to point at the t-case, when you don't have an SYE, you will probably get vibes.

You may need to use shims to set the pinion parallel to the t-case output though. And if you get an SYE in the future, you'll need to re-shim it.

Thanks...thats what I was wondering.

Specs are
6" of lift, 93CherokeeSport AX15, np231
HPIM0621.jpg

I don't have vibes now...but I probably won't wanna rip back into it later to put shims in when I do the SYE.

I have shimmed the axle to point at the t-case on a few jeeps without SYEs, it works fine. You might try that before any T-case drop. A good friend of mines jeep has 5" lift with no t-case drop or SYE, we just shimmed the axle to point at the t-case and its all good :).

BlueCuda said:
I have shimmed the axle to point at the t-case on a few jeeps without SYEs, it works fine. You might try that before any T-case drop. A good friend of mines jeep has 5" lift with no t-case drop or SYE, we just shimmed the axle to point at the t-case and its all good :).

Already have the t-case drop...I don't plan to remove it until I SYE it.

I'm at around 8"s with no tcase drop or sye.....

No I'm not retarded I just don't feel like wasting money on the 231/242 until I get an atlas......

All I've done is put new spring perches on, which is the same as shimming, installed the longest xj rear shaft, a d44 (longer pinion length than 8.25, 35 etc), and a 242 tcase cause compared to a 231 installed its a couple inches longer. All that combined seems to work perfect and no vibes, plus if I wreck a drive shaft I've always got a couple stock replacements ready to roll only bummer is if you kill your rear driveshaft your gonna have to refill the tcase and keep topping it off until you get a new rear shaft.

But what works for some people doesn't always work for others.....

I'm at around 8"s with no tcase drop or sye.....

No I'm not retarded I just don't feel like wasting money on the 231/242 until I get an atlas......

All I've done is put new spring perches on, which is the same as shimming, installed the longest xj rear shaft, a d44 (longer pinion length than 8.25, 35 etc), and a 242 tcase cause compared to a 231 installed its a couple inches longer. All that combined seems to work perfect and no vibes, plus if I wreck a drive shaft I've always got a couple stock replacements ready to roll only bummer is if you kill your rear driveshaft your gonna have to refill the tcase and keep topping it off until you get a new rear shaft.

But what works for some people doesn't always work for others.....

Back