• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To shim or not to Shim

ARBOGASTER

NAXJA Forum User
I just put a 4.5" lift on my XJ with a PORC SYE and am now running my front shaft as a rear. I currently have no driveline vibes but have noticed some clunking in the rear when I back up. The pinion is not pointing directly at the xfer case but it is in the ballpark. Should I buy some good steel shims for this thing and get it pointing straight or just leave it go and look for the clunking noise elsewhere?

I shimmed mine just a bit when I did my 4.5 lift with sye and new cvdrive shaft. Came with the kit to swap out for the tcase drop that should have came with it. I have yet to have any vib problems so it worked good for me and is an easy install to do.

ARBOGASTER said:
I just put a 4.5" lift on my XJ with a PORC SYE and am now running my front shaft as a rear. I currently have no driveline vibes but have noticed some clunking in the rear when I back up. The pinion is not pointing directly at the xfer case but it is in the ballpark. Should I buy some good steel shims for this thing and get it pointing straight or just leave it go and look for the clunking noise elsewhere?
Have someone stand to the side of the jeep in a position where they can see the pinion and the leafpack (one more then the other probably) as you backup. I have a feeling you got axlewrap which causes the clunking.

Back