• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Booster Upgrade

KJR93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wondering what years and models you can get a brake booster from to upgrade a 93 XJ Non ABS?? I know that some years work and ohters might not, I know that their are some problems with the arm connecting to brake pedal, I also do not have cruise control, so that may make life easier.

Any comments from people that have done this, I have searched but can not find exact details on years, models to use,

thanks for you time

KJR93XJ said:
I'm wondering what years and models you can get a brake booster from to upgrade a 93 XJ Non ABS?? I know that some years work and ohters might not, I know that their are some problems with the arm connecting to brake pedal, I also do not have cruise control, so that may make life easier.

Any comments from people that have done this, I have searched but can not find exact details on years, models to use,

thanks for you time

A dual diaphram booster from a 96 XJ was a direct swap into my 91, except for custom bent lines. I actually used a combination of the 96 and 91 fittings on the lines and didn't have to buy any. In 97 I beleive the length of the pedal rod changed, making a swap more labor intensive. There is a good writeup on it at www.madxj.com.

xj-grin has it right.... I swapped a 95 booster and m/c set into my 94 with very little difficulty.

I cheated a little, and got a set of adapters to convert the 95 metric flares on the m/c to SAE. I did still custom bend my lines, though, and have converted to an adjustable proportioning valve.

I *HIGHLY* recommend this mod.

ChiXJeff said:
xj-grin has it right.... I swapped a 95 booster and m/c set into my 94 with very little difficulty.

I cheated a little, and got a set of adapters to convert the 95 metric flares on the m/c to SAE. I did still custom bend my lines, though, and have converted to an adjustable proportioning valve.

I *HIGHLY* recommend this mod.

One more thing - I know all 96 XJ boosters have the proper pedal rod, I THINK that all 94-95 boosters from XJ's with ABS are the same. But from what I understand 94-95 non-ABS XJs have the same single diaphram booster you are trying to replace.

I agree this is a simple mod with dramatic results, and is HIGHLY recommended. I did the swap after going to rear discs, and although the pedal feel was not where I would have liked, the increased braking power of the dual booster was obvious. I am now in a 99 with the stock (dual) booster, and rear discs and am thinking of going to a ZJ prop valve to improve my pedal feel... good luck.

xj-grin said:
One more thing - I know all 96 XJ boosters have the proper pedal rod, I THINK that all 94-95 boosters from XJ's with ABS are the same. But from what I understand 94-95 non-ABS XJs have the same single diaphram booster you are trying to replace.

95 boosters are indeed dual chamber. Very different from the single chamber I pulled.

ChiXJeff

Good stuff guys, but what about models say, YJ, ZJ, TJ, stuff?????
Non ABS and ABS, do the rod differ much???

thanks for the fast responses!!!!!!!!!

KJR93XJ said:
Good stuff guys, but what about models say, YJ, ZJ, TJ, stuff?????
Non ABS and ABS, do the rod differ much???

thanks for the fast responses!!!!!!!!!

I believe all ZJ's use the longer pedal rod, as when I ordered my 96 XJ from a salvage yard in another state, they initially sent me a 97 ZJ, and it didn't work. As far as YJ's, I believe they are all single diaphram. and TJ's.....???

how hard is it to replace the rod ? can i do it myself ? would a booster from a 97 tj work my friend has one in his basment he is not using. could i cut sleeve and weld a 92 rod end on

I have a bunch of odd XJ boosters laying around and the 95 that I have is a dual diaphragm unit, all of the earlier ones that I have are single. I also have a 99 TJ booster and it appears identical to the 95 Cherokee unit as far as I can tell. The TJ proportioning valve is mounted differently but that is the only difference I could see. The 99 tj did have ABS.
Dave

Back