• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wouldn't be nice

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
my nissan is quite content with having its CPS in the distributor. nice little optical doohickey
still the original from 1986.

it would have been a little nicer if they had at least moved it down around the lower half of the bell housing. or put an access hole in the floor.

but i found if you lower the rear cross member down its actually not that bad it change.

It’s a clumsy work around for the first CPS, they didn’t want to redesign the motor so bolted a solution on. The solution they use now with a reluctor ring built on to the crank shaft works ok.

That kits not a bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only problem with that kit is the notches for the sensor aren't directly connected to the crank flange. If the ring spins or separates, you got no ignition to limp off the road/trail

My next XJ I will put a small removable cover to access it while the interior is apart. A sealed cover with a couple of bolts to remove it. I keep a known good used one under the back seat in a seal container. Ive seen fuel pump access covers made also. Just got to make due with what weve got to work with.

Ron

If you think an XJ CPS is bad go take a stab at changing a WJ CPS. For an XJ as long as the engine is cool I just reach down from the top. You just have to do it while not looking at it lol.

If you think an XJ CPS is bad go take a stab at changing a WJ CPS. For an XJ as long as the engine is cool I just reach down from the top. You just have to do it while not looking at it lol.
Depends on the model, there is no way to even see the CPS, from the top, in my 2001 XJ . The area is covered with wire harnesses and tubing.
It’s a bear to change at home, with it jacked up and the cross member dropped.

Depends on the model, there is no way to even see the CPS, from the top, in my 2001 XJ . The area is covered with wire harnesses and tubing.

Dang that’s a bummer. 92 4.0 you can see it clear as day just looking down the back of the engine bay.

Wouldn't it be nice if you didn't go around posting unrelated comments everywhere? :illegalflipoffsmiley:

Entirely related, I post for the 'thinking man'.

CPS is just one example, you are stuck........no interchangeable bells, flywheels, transmissions. No aftermarket support, no performance parts, notta.

The box they put you in. When you step out of the box, it gets expensive.

So, you are stuck with the shit they gave you.

My 2000 isn't bad. Just 2 feet of extension and a swivel. And lots of cussing and preying you don't drop a bolt in the bellhousing.

Entirely related, I post for the 'thinking man'.

CPS is just one example, you are stuck........no interchangeable bells, flywheels, transmissions. No aftermarket support, no performance parts, notta.

The box they put you in. When you step out of the box, it gets expensive.

So, you are stuck with the shit they gave you.

Then think outside the box.
An trigger wheel is easy to make and bolt to the balancer then whip up a bracket for the cps. Cheap and easy.
Its similar to the mpfi systen mopar did on the 258 cj conversions.
But why bother it already is in a good place for damage prevention

Then think outside the box.
An trigger wheel is easy to make and bolt to the balancer then whip up a bracket for the cps. Cheap and easy.
Its similar to the mpfi systen mopar did on the 258 cj conversions.
But why bother it already is in a good place for damage prevention

It may be easy to buy a sensor wheel but making one is beyond my ability, not having access to a machine shop.
While the stock position may keep the CPS protected, it is the worse part to change on the trail, at least on my 2001.
I have had two Mopar CPSs fail, so it's alway on the back of my mind, especially when many miles off the pavement.
And yes, I carry a Mopar spare, in a bag with spares for all the other sensors.

Your problem lies in having to see things with your eyes. Learn to see with your fingers and you'll understand why many consider CPS replacement a non-issue.

Your problem lies in having to see things with your eyes. Learn to see with your fingers and you'll understand why many consider CPS replacement a non-issue.

Before you go making a blanket statement abut how I lack a certain talent, you should know what you are talking about...and you don't
Not all XJs are the same.
Your profile show you own a 1986 XJ. There have been a few changes through the years since 1986.

I don't have a problem with my 1997 XJ, the CPS is clearly visible from the top and from underneath. It's fairly easy to change and is a piece of cake compared to to my 2001 XJ.
The CPS is a different story on the 2001 XJ, it is unseen from the top due to a large evaporative hardline that passes directly over the top of the CPS.
Access from underneath and behind are blocked by even more emission hoses.
The 2000-2001 XJ have an upgraded and more complex evaporative control system, compared to the earlier models.
I have changed the 2001's CPS and it's a PIA, best done at home and not on the trail.

Not all XJs are the same...now you know.

Before you go making a blanket statement abut how I lack a certain talent, you should know what you are talking about...and you don't
Not all XJs are the same.
Your profile show you own a 1986 XJ. There have been a few changes through the years since 1986.

I don't have a problem with my 1997 XJ, the CPS is clearly visible from the top and from underneath. It's fairly easy to change and is a piece of cake compared to to my 2001 XJ.
The CPS is a different story on the 2001 XJ, it is unseen from the top due to a large evaporative hardline that passes directly over the top of the CPS.
Access from underneath and behind are blocked by even more emission hoses.
The 2000-2001 XJ have an upgraded and more complex evaporative control system, compared to the earlier models.
I have changed the 2001's CPS and it's a PIA, best done at home and not on the trail.

Not all XJs are the same...now you know.

Right, I didn't pay much attention to my 01, I just pulled the engine out and put it in my 96. Honestly I'm not too keen on Daimlers, but for $300 with a rebuilt engine, I couldn't pass it up. It's donated a lot of good parts to other projects. I'm more into the Chrysler era, and I have a few of them, with a couple of Renix models as well. I've owned ten of them over the years, and kept the same one on the road for thirteen years or better.

The profile only had room for one entry, and I'm here while building an 86 into a 92. You said you couldn't see it, and didn't enjoy changing it.

Back