• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Dana 44 Oil Baffle Locations

jeepboy12001

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

Does anyone happen to know where all the oil baffles go in an xj dana 44?

I bought one off craigslist that was empty and the gentleman installing my gears needs to know where and which oil baffles it needs.

Any pictures or diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Alan

Standard rear XJ D44 has just one between the yoke & outer pinion bearing. Pinion shims go under the inner pinion bearing race in the housing. If your guy doesn't know this I'd re-consider using him?

He already is if he has to ask a question like that! Gears are nothing to experiment with, find a good gear guy! Setting up new gears in a empty case is the hardest to do since you don't have any markings/settings to get you started.
What carrier and gear set did you buy?
Do have a set of "set-up" bearings?

Last edited:
In all honesty if OP handed the guy a USA Standard or similar install kit, it comes with a ton of crap you don't use on a rear, but that you'd use on a HP front. BUT, the guy should know if he has some experience. Different folks have different opinions of setup bearings. I don't use them much myself. At worst I have a "setup set" that I use until they're worn out. But they press on like regular bearings. The problem with setup bearings is they typically have too much slop in them which skews measurements. An experienced guy will know starting points and go from there and make short work of it. The better install kits include a guide which gives you the starting points as well. D44 starts with .042 under the inner pinion bearing. While its difficult to start from scratch, it can also be difficult if the previous guy who worked on it didn't know what the hell he was doing. I have seen all kinds of crazy shit in used axles. And I don't even have that much experience as someone who does it all day everyday.

Hey guys thanks for the replies!

It's a Yukon gear set with a Detroit locker. The install kit is from superior, yes I've had this stuff for a while, and has various parts for all the versions of Dana 44s. Which was why he was asking where the baffle went because he has nothing to compare it to.
I tried to find a picture of an xj Dana 44 tear down but couldn't seem to find one. Also looked to see if I could just snag another axle but those things are few and far between.

He has a shop and does gear installs very regularly, but has never done an xj 44 and wanted to be 100% on where everything went.

I will for sure pass all of this on.

Thanks again!

sure......I can...but the point is....so can the guy doing the work, or the OP.....that way they can find exactly what they want....

and in addition to the link being old, the #80 is the slinger for the 1st pic, but if you scroll down, the the d44.....it is #19, and there are 2 of them

So it'd be best for the OP to find exactly what he needs by year/make

but here's a pic that should cover it

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replacement-parts/wrangler-tj/tj-dana-44-rear.php

I know this is old, but in case...

The two discs are called slingers. The larger one goes on the pinion, before the pinion bearing and the smaller one goes after the outer pinion bearing, before the pinion seal. The stepped disc is a baffle, it will go between the housing and the inner pinion bearing race.

The larger slinger slings oil around inside the differential to aid in lubing the pinion bearings when the ring gear can't. The rear doesn't need it, but the front low pinion does. In the rear, the oil will make a 'halo' on the ring gear and since the ring gear is spinning it will force this oil into the pinion bearing cavity. On others the slinger under the pinion head will do the same thing. However, there will be a protrusion near the pinion cavity that will scrape the slinger.

The smaller slinger is needed on all, as it will help keep oil away from the pinion seal and aid against pinion leaks. As well it will sling oil around to keep things lubed up. Depends on the application.

The baffle is used to keep oil in the pinion bearings. Like the larger slinger, it's used more in front low pinions, but it can be used in any. Just take into account it's thickness and adjust your shim pack accordingly.

HTH!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/tj-dana-44-pinion-assembly-question-1039105/

Thanks for the info and links!

I had searched fairly thoroughly before making a post. I'm not really one to start threads, or post in general, as you can tell by my post count.

There is not alot of information about the xj dana 44 available. I have an 87 fsm but it states that the axle is a full floater, which this is not. I am not sure of the similarities if any between the xj dana 44 and the tj as they were manufactured nearly 10 years apart.

He is going to assemble it as posted above.
"Standard rear XJ D44 has just one between the yoke & outer pinion bearing. Pinion shims go under the inner pinion bearing race in the housing"

Thanks again!

-Alan

Thanks for the info and links!

I had searched fairly thoroughly before making a post. I'm not really one to start threads, or post in general, as you can tell by my post count.

There is not alot of information about the xj dana 44 available. I have an 87 fsm but it states that the axle is a full floater, which this is not. I am not sure of the similarities if any between the xj dana 44 and the tj as they were manufactured nearly 10 years apart.

He is going to assemble it as posted above.
"Standard rear XJ D44 has just one between the yoke & outer pinion bearing. Pinion shims go under the inner pinion bearing race in the housing"

Thanks again!

-Alan

You're welcome. Quadratec also has an illustration for 87-90 XJ Rear Dana 44:

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replacement-parts/cherokee-xj/xj-dana-44-rear.php

Which is the same as I said in Post #2. :)

Back