• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too much shim?

spdyracer

NAXJA Forum User
I put a d44 in and the yoke was pointing 4 degrees up from the driveshaft. i got 6 degree shims figuring this would put me 2 degrees down where it should be but after putting them in now im 6 degrees low. how did 6 degree shims give me about 10 degree angle. also is 6 degrees too low or would it be ok to leave it?

I put a d44 in and the yoke was pointing 4 degrees up from the driveshaft. i got 6 degree shims figuring this would put me 2 degrees down where it should be but after putting them in now im 6 degrees low. how did 6 degree shims give me about 10 degree angle. also is 6 degrees too low or would it be ok to leave it?

I suspect you measured something wrong, or tightened it unevenly. It happens...

Yes. 6* is most certainly too much.

Robert

Last edited:
considering all else stays the same at this point i should use 2 degree shims? that should take away 4 degrees and put me at 2 degrees. is this correct?

sounds like you installed the shims the wrong direction :shhh:

sounds like you installed the shims the wrong direction :shhh:

considering that my yoke was 4 degrees high compared to the driveshaft if i put them in wrong it would have put the yoke pointing 10 or more degrees too high. i put them in the right direction but some how it gave me more angle than i was expecting

Drive it around the block real quick, see if something settles. If not, you do the math!

read my first post. thick side is in the back bringing my yoke lower like i wanted but more than i needed.
I read the post and you mention pinion angle at 6* and 10*. what is it ? installing the thicker part of the shim to the rear, raises the pinion angle. do you have a SYE installed,T/C drop? all of these changes make a huge difference in where your pinion angle needs to be set.

I read the post and you mention pinion angle at 6* and 10*. what is it ?

He was at 4* high. He added 6* shims, aiming for 2* low.

Instead, he ended up 6* low, which is 10* from where he started.

Spdy, try like Porch said and drive it around the block, see how it settles. then retighten all.

If you have to take it all apart, try to get new/better baseline measurements before reshimming.

Where are you measuring your pinion angle? I like to pop the ujoint and measure right across the saddle...

Robert

He was at 4* high. He added 6* shims, aiming for 2* low.

Instead, he ended up 6* low, which is 10* from where he started.

Spdy, try like Porch said and drive it around the block, see how it settles. then retighten all.

If you have to take it all apart, try to get new/better baseline measurements before reshimming.

Where are you measuring your pinion angle? I like to pop the ujoint and measure right across the saddle...

Robert
4* high to start, them ad a 6* shim with the wide end to the rear.he should be 10 + high not low ( he raised it with the shim) some how his measuring is off. there are 2 nice flat spots on either side of the Diff that work great for checking the angles.

4* high to start, them ad a 6* shim with the wide end to the rear.he should be 10 + high not low ( he raised it with the shim) some how his measuring is off. there are 2 nice flat spots on either side of the Diff that work great for checking the angles.

actually i miss spoke the other day when i said the wide side to the rear. i checked and the wide side is in the front. wrenchmonkey is correct on what i was saying. thanks for all the advice i have driven it a few miles and it still measures the same. im doing what builderxyz said as far as measuring im using the flat side to measure. i just ordered some 2* shims and just hope nothing weird happens again when i put them in. this should take me to 2* like i wanted in the first place. the only thing i can think is my measurements where off the first time or the rear was bolted in wrong some how the first time. ill post again once i get the new shims in.

Thicker side toward the rear.
This will shift the rear pinion angle upward toward the TC.

Here is a pic of the passenger's side looking from the rear.
DSC07118.jpg

Back