• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Skid Plate - Year Difference?

jbsjunk

NAXJA Forum User
I want to get a engine skid/steering protection plate. I've seen a couple different OE versions, but they look different and it looks like there is a year break in them. I'm looking at one off a 98 to put on my 86. My main reason for this is my radiator is mounted low, right off the bottom of the front crossmember and don't want it to get smacked if things get hairy. No, this is not a stock configuration, it's a swap.

The newer one has 3 bolts on the dr side and 2 on the pass. The older looks like it has 2 on each side.

Wacha think?

Not sure what year I took mine off (junkyard find) but either it was slightly warped or the years do matter - I have a '93 xj and had to drill a new hole in the skid or ream (can't remember which) just to fit the bolts.

It's really easy to drill new holes so don't worry about it. Get measurements of your holes and match them to whatever you're thinking about getting.

On my old rig The skid had 3 bolts on the passenger and one on the driver sides. I will look at the freebie one I got when I get the chance.

Got it yesterday, screwed it on today. No problems other than having to rework the front edge because my lower rad mounts in the same location.

Here's the one off of my 98 Sport.
IMG00366_20091012_1701_800x600.jpg

There were 3 studs along the front and one bolt in the subframe behind the sway bar bolts. Looks like 3 bolts holes on the passenger side and one on the front.

Yup, same as the one I got. I just need to do something a bit different on how the front mounts. My lower radiator mount is bolted to the same panel this plate uses. Not a big deal, just mod a couple things.

Back