• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 with AW4 trans

Stukboy

NAXJA Forum User
Will this trans bolt up to my 2.5?? Would it be better to find a 904?? This is a swap from an XJ to a YJ. I know the trans is longer than my stock AX5. I'm not concerned about the wiring or shift linkage but the big thing is the bolt pattern on the engine and trans also the t-case to trans. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Thanx, Stukboy

During the discussion a few days ago, I called one of my former coworkers. He looked up the trans availability and found the part discontinued. But it was offered from 87-90 in either 2 or 4wd , XJ or MJ. If you have access to an AW4 that is currently behind a 2.5, it should bolt up to yours. The output will be a 21 spline so you would have to change the input on your case if its a 23 spline.

This AW4 is behind a 4.0 currently in an XJ. I was hoping to put it behind a 2.5 in a YJ. I'm hearing it's to long and bolt patterns are not the same. Thanx for the info!

Stukboy said:
This AW4 is behind a 4.0 currently in an XJ. I was hoping to put it behind a 2.5 in a YJ. I'm hearing it's to long and bolt patterns are not the same. Thanx for the info!

same length within 1/4" but the bolt pattern is way different, your hearing is pretty good!

Back