• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical issue?

relyt

NAXJA Forum User
Driving my '87 XJ today, it died while I was coasting to a stop. After, it really didn't want to start. I did eventually get it started, but now my headlights don't work. Where should I look for a short or a bad ground connection? Are there other problems that could cause this?

All suggestions are very appreciated.

What in the ignition switch should I look for? All other electrics work. It's really just the headlights I'm having a problem with.

The power for the headlights comes from a fusible link and then through circuit breaker built into the headlight switch.
If the fusible link went, it would likely affect other stuff also.

I ended up taking it to a shop to have it diagnosed. They said the headlight switch failed, and the believe it died because of a clogged fuel filter.

Well, the headlight switch was worse than I expected. Apparently it had a loose ground, shorted itself, and melted itself along with the connector. Long story short, the new switch is in and the wires are run to it individually. It seems to be a lot better now, and the dash lights are brighter than they've ever been since I've owned it. :D

Back