• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker - any regrets?

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
No one likes to admit they erred, whether paying to much for something or making a modification that didn't quite deliver as expected.

My not so much anymore DD needs an engine overhaul. Anyone have any regrets about rebuilding theirs as a stroker? I am one of those guys that doesn't like to have to keep tinkering and tweaking but just turn the key and go.

Happy Holidays,
Tom

If you have to rebuild it anyway, it's probably not a bad idea if the extra cost is minimal. I wouldn't do it just to do it, though, and would put the funds into gears, transfer case, etc. that would multiply your engine output more. I hear that's a much bigger bang for your buck if you are looking at crawling.
If you are looking for more top end, ignore everything I just said.

I'm happy with it but by the time I was done spending money I could of had an LS motor.

I built my stroker myself over 10 years ago. I built my first motor 55 years ago, so it wasn't anything new and I have all the tools.

I now have probably 160K on it. I have never regretted it.

I don't regret mine and it was worth it alone for learning how to build an engine(which then forces you to maintain it). I'll use the Eagle 6.150" rods(sitting on a shelf for years) and custom >+.060" full-floating forged pistons in the next one. The current one has 258 rods and Sealed Power/Federal Mogul h825cp30s(+.030"). I've been flogging it for 7+ years and more than 75Kmi.

I would NEVER had done it, now looking back.

I have thought about it a few times. If I had to rebuild a 4.0 anyway, I would definitely do it, and I'd do it myself for the fun of it. I don't think I would go to the effort and expense otherwise, definitely cannot justify buying one.

No regrets, I had a buddy with shop so l got to bore the block myself, way cool. Still doing upgrades to always hunt for more power.

No regrets on my Russ Pottenger 4.6L. Boatloads more low end torque, which is exactly what I wanted. Gas mileage improvement over my rather tired 4.0L. I have seen no downsides.

David Bricker / SYR

A Russ P. stroker seems to be the way to go while on this path. Unless you want to build one yourself. Then, I would consider at the very least to pick up one of his P&P heads.
I personally, have never had a 242-based stroker, but still want to do an LSx swap. I know the potential emission-legal failure is there.
So, for a basically plug n pray, no questions visual inspection a stroker is a better idea.
Also, as I am sure you know, Russ builds them from mild to wild. Bricker's heep and 4643 are 2 good examples of both ends of the spectrum.

Sadly the smog legal after market and renix are mutually exclusive. I converted to HO/99+intake so I'm really SOL.

Sadly the smog legal after market and renix are mutually exclusive. I converted to HO/99+intake so I'm really SOL.
Do you not live in a smog upon change of ownership only county? If not, time to register your heep in one. haha.

I may or may not be registered in a non smog area ;)

I got a 2000. The smog check is now done by reading the ECM & a visual. No more dyno and no more measuring the emission gases.

The sniffer yeah but not absurd carb inspections. Pretty sure there's no CA legal adjustable fuel pressure regulators or map adjusters.
Me having 99 and 91 parts on my renix doesn't make it less proper.

i installed a very heavily modded crate motor in a 2WD MJ for a kid a few years back, and as far as i know it's been trouble free and he is a maniac behind the wheel, he did all the tuning, i just swapped it and got it running. he was always tweaking things so i dont really know how reliable it was out of the box.
another friend of mine had a Golen crate motor installed and it was nothing but a nightmare from the begining.
we've all heard the success and failure stories, the only way i'd do one is if it was just for the intention of squeezing as much out of it as i could and i'd build it myself as a challenge.
in your shoes i'd suggest weighing the expense of stock and stroker, including any hoops you have to jump thru to keep it legit in Ca.
if it means NOT doing other peripheral mods that the engine would really benefit from i dont see the point even if the engine is the same cost.

The sniffer yeah but not absurd carb inspections. Pretty sure there's no CA legal adjustable fuel pressure regulators or map adjusters.
Me having 99 and 91 parts on my renix doesn't make it less proper.

Neither of those are required though. I ran a renix stroker for a long time, and goatman ran the same one (same jeep) for years before me.

24 pound injectors, no other changes. Ran great, passed smog fine.

Back