• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ACTION NEEDED: Rubicon Closure

DrvOvrIt

NAXJA Forum User
This is a repost from a post started on reno4x4.com
Anybody who could attend this should

RUBICON TRAIL STATUS - CRITICAL

Your attendance is requested on April 23rd in Sacramento!

On Thursday, April 23rd the California Water Quality Control Board is having a public hearing in Rancho Cordova to finalize their decision on closing the Rubicon Trail.

We are asking all NORA supporters within driving distance of Sacramento to attend this important public hearing. Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) enthusiasts need to show the Water Board the overwhelming public support to keep the Rubicon Trail open year-round. NORA’s goal is to have over (500) OHV enthusiasts present at this public hearing.

This is serious. On April 1st the United States Forest Service issued a 2-year temporary closure of the very popular Tellico OHV Area in North Carolina. Help Rubicon from turning into a Tellico type situation, by showing your support on April 23rd.

Assemblyman Ted Gaines and a representative from Congressman Tom McClintock’s office will be in attendance. Local Sacramento news media will also be covering this historic event.

Please call or email Erin Lara, Member Services Director at NORA to let her know if you are able to attend as we are trying to obtain a head count. She can be reached at (530) 333-1487, ext. 1 or [email protected].

MEETING PLACE AND TIME:

LOCATION – 11020 Sun Center Drive # 200; Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
DATE & TIME – Thursday, April 23rd @ 12:30 PM

right down the street from work I will be there too.

It's on my calendar. I will be there.

I will be there! I just got back from Moab for EJS and it is amazing the number of trails they are trying to close there.

Be sure to clean up the underside before going.
No MARKING TERRITORY, leave oil leakers home.
Sure someone will be taking pics after, ready to give evidence

Nice to see a few of us NAXJA'ers there.
I got lucky and had the day off and was able to attend, brought my little bro along.

Seems like you never hear any good news.

Again proud to be red, and suport NAXJA! Nice to know my money is going to the right place.

Sweet! We can all breathe a little easier. Unbelievable, the spin put on the whole thing by the other side.

Guys,

They never intended to close the Con this go round. Their plan is to set the wheels in motion if things do not change.

From the Sac Bee, Saturday; "The order requires the county and Forest Service to adopt measures to control erosion and pollution, such as completing new stream crossings and bridges, and user education programs.
They also must develop a water quality protection plan by October 2010 and a long-term management plan by April 2011. Quarterly and annual progress reports must be submitted so the cleanup can be monitored.
More basic steps require an official map of the route, which has never been done, and a complete count of vehicle traffic.
Significantly, the order does not require any trail closures, nor does it limit traffic or require access permits. It does require these steps to be considered if other measures fail."

I think the shot across the bow is a warning to all of us. The County and the Forest Service do not want to take responsibility for clean up. We need to be the police and the sanitation service for this and all trails if we do not want to hear the words closure associated with our sport, hobby and passion.

On a side note: The Sierra Club has over 700,000 members (aledgidly). The largest single 4x4 club has less then 10,000 members. NORA, who organized our meet with the The Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board last Thursday, believes if all of the individual 4x4 clubs were under one umbrella we would have more strengh (numbers) than the Club mentioned above. I think this is a great concept and have joined NORA.

Back