• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daytime running lights??

sys_eng

NAXJA Forum User
My situation is I have 2 92's one is Canadian market the other is US market
the Canadian one has DRL and I would like for the US one to also have DRL.

I have a few of questions about the the drl module

What years did the Canadian XJ come with DRL? I have an 89 for parts would that have the proper DRL module?

Is the US one wired for the DRL? Could the factory module be added?

btw I am in Canada

If you ever get to the junkyard I would like a DRL module for my (USA) 2000. I would think anything from a 97 or newer would work for me. Use the search function, I remember somebody posting on this topic before.

Eh, why? I find headlamps on during the daytime (in the clear) to be distracting and annoying, when coming the other way.

Granted, they're a help in fog, rain, and snow - but that should be the DRIVER turning them on - that's what they taught me in driver's ed 'way back when.

Technology should not replace skill and training. Granted, on that logic I could rescind maybe 3/4 of all driver's licenses out here, which would do WONDERS for traffic! - but that will never happen, either.

5-90

Oh. Figures.

Didn't someone do a study on DRL's a while ago and find that they were useless? I'm just wondering...

And, if the vehicle was originally made without DRL's, why would they require a refit? Down here, if it's not original equipment, it's usually not required - and that's OEM relative to where the vehicle was made and first sold, not where it is now. If it's a US-production vehicle, and didn't have DRL, why would Canada require that you refit it? As long as you can prove it was made for the US market, it seems to me you should be fine...

5-90

Reminds me of when this whole drl thing started, it was a safety thing for motorcycles so that if you saw a headlight it was more than likely a MC. Did cut down on the accidents too, so why not do it for 4 wheels, now it's just like it never happened... 2 wheeler and 4 wheelers both having them negated the benefits...

5-90 said:
Oh. Figures.

Didn't someone do a study on DRL's a while ago and find that they were useless? I'm just wondering...

And, if the vehicle was originally made without DRL's, why would they require a refit? Down here, if it's not original equipment, it's usually not required - and that's OEM relative to where the vehicle was made and first sold, not where it is now. If it's a US-production vehicle, and didn't have DRL, why would Canada require that you refit it? As long as you can prove it was made for the US market, it seems to me you should be fine...

5-90
DRLs may be useless to people that know how to operate their car's controls... but for the idiots that forget to turn their lights on in rain/snow or dusk/dawn, I certainly don't mind them.

Anyway, the US most certainly DOES require fitment of non-standard equipment to imported cars. Catalytic converters/emissions controls, bumpers, airbags, DOT-approved lamps, etc. are all common items that need to be swapped.

DRLs have been the law in Canada since the late '80s, so why WOULDN'T they require them on imported cars?

My junk is "Canadian born".
You want the DRL mod.?
Come down and get it!

I hate the way my XJ says "about" and and when it gets hurt it wants to goto "hospital" not to the hospital.
Even the weather forcaster says "today a mix of sun and cloud"
Where are all of your adverbs?

Hey you hoooser do a seerch!

DRLs are half-assed. Heavy fog, and snow ... and you can't see the guy's rearend. Shouldn't the rears be on aswell?

Most of the drivers out there are .... lost causes.

5-90 said:
Down here, if it's not original equipment, it's usually not required - and that's OEM relative to where the vehicle was made and first sold, not where it is now. If it's a US-production vehicle, and didn't have DRL, why would Canada require that you refit it? As long as you can prove it was made for the US market, it seems to me you should be fine...

5-90

No he won't be fine without the DRL's and he will be given a fail on the safety inspection. Well not an outright fail but he will be given sometime to address the faults from the inspection.

"Up here" vehicles sold or imported must meet Transport Canada standards. The DRL's are required (BTW they would have been equipped new at the time of sale in Canada) along with odometer/speedometer conversion if the there are no Kilometers. A predominate Miles odometer/speedometer with kilometers are permitted.

All outstanding safety recalls must be addressed along with any repairs required. IE: brakes needing work, bald tires, cracked windshield, etc.

Then bilingual labels (French/English) for the vehicle are required. IE: Airbags labels. If I remember correctly Transport Canada has a kit for these as a part of the importation fee.

These conditions are also applicable to vehicles imported from the Asia and Europe. As an interesting side note Japanese imports are required to be 15 years or older (according to the very day of manufacture) or they are not permitted for importation into Canada.

It is much the same way when importing a car into the US but they are not as strict along with many other things when it comes to insuring vehicles and the reporting of car history. The US does require the odometer/speedometer to be converted in most cases. If anyone has seen a Volvo speedometer they would know typically they are only one system of measurement depending on the country they are being sold to. Well the older ones at least

Lou said:
DRLs are half-assed. Heavy fog, and snow ... and you can't see the guy's rearend. Shouldn't the rears be on aswell?
Newer Land rovers and Mercedies (1995+) have front and rear fog lights. The rear is a very bright red light that can be seen at a distance through dense fog. DRL's arent there to replace fog lights.. just to suppliment people's attention to the vehicles around them.

cal said:
.. just to suppliment people's attention to the vehicles around them.
That's more or less what I meant.
IMHO DRLs do very little, if anything, to better your visibility of the vehicle in front of you--during the day in foggy or snowy conditions.

In poor visibility conditions, I'm in the habit of lighting-up my four corners. I find it annoying when others don't.

Last edited:
FRAM said:
No he won't be fine without the DRL's and he will be given a fail on the safety inspection. Well not an outright fail but he will be given sometime to address the faults from the inspection.

"Up here" vehicles sold or imported must meet Transport Canada standards. The DRL's are required (BTW they would have been equipped new at the time of sale in Canada) along with odometer/speedometer conversion if the there are no Kilometers. A predominate Miles odometer/speedometer with kilometers are permitted.

All outstanding safety recalls must be addressed along with any repairs required. IE: brakes needing work, bald tires, cracked windshield, etc.

Then bilingual labels (French/English) for the vehicle are required. IE: Airbags labels. If I remember correctly Transport Canada has a kit for these as a part of the importation fee.

These conditions are also applicable to vehicles imported from the Asia and Europe. As an interesting side note Japanese imports are required to be 15 years or older (according to the very day of manufacture) or they are not permitted for importation into Canada.

It is much the same way when importing a car into the US but they are not as strict along with many other things when it comes to insuring vehicles and the reporting of car history. The US does require the odometer/speedometer to be converted in most cases. If anyone has seen a Volvo speedometer they would know typically they are only one system of measurement depending on the country they are being sold to. Well the older ones at least

So, then - even if it was built for a non-Canadian market (say, US,) it must be retrofit to Canadian standards? Now THAT sounds foolish to me - especially if Transport Canada offers kits (which sounds like a racket to me as well,) but they don't offer ALL kits (what are they spending the money on, then?)

The responsibility for that should not lie strictly with the owner - if they're going to require it, then they should step up and simplify the process, y'ask me...

5-90

Oh Lou - "lighting up the four corners" - you mean, parking lights? That's a really annoying habit people have out here - parking lights are for parking, and making sure you're visible when you're parked somewhere unusual. If you're moving under power, turn on ALL your lights or don't turn ANY on - if I see parking lights, that makes me think that the vehicle isn't moving - because it's what I'd do.

By the way - who is that in your avatar? My first thought was Gallagher, but now I'm stonkered...

5-90

I have a 2K XJ with no DRL. I spend about 2 months a year in Souther Ontario and have always felt their headlight law was benifical. I purchased an aftermarket unit from a locat autoparts in Cobourg, ON for 49.00 Canadian. Since then, I found out the JC Whitney has several models, with this one being the least expensive http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003352/showCustom-0/p-2003352/N-111+600002848+10201/c-10101 Seems to me this is easier than trying to come up with an OEM.

EDIT: Matter in fact, they are always on even when wheelin'. No complaints or problems even when winching with my 12K.

Last edited:
Not just the parking lights, full low-beams and the rears ... whatever those are called.

Don't know who he is. I'm just trying to perpetuate misconceptions regarding Canadians. :D

sys - eng, the DRL module is under the hood, on the pass fender, close to the blower motor.

I drive better than 90% of the people around here, including the immigrants who can't speak or read english. (or drive properly) My 1st and only accident was in 1984, my last moving violation ticket was in 1987. In Minnesota the DMV will give you a DL if you can pass the test in your own language. DRL's attract the attention of cell phone gabbing morons (pick your language) who aren't looking past thier own noses.

sys_eng said:
My situation is I have 2 92's one is Canadian market the other is US market
the Canadian one has DRL and I would like for the US one to also have DRL.

I have a few of questions about the the drl module

What years did the Canadian XJ come with DRL? I have an 89 for parts would that have the proper DRL module?

Is the US one wired for the DRL? Could the factory module be added?

btw I am in Canada

How did you make out?

IF you have no luck there is this kit from Crappy Tire

It's not great as it puts all lights on but it should help you pass the inspection ...

XJedi23 said:
Blah.. Blah??? BLAH!!!

What were you expecting? You clicked the link door knob.
icon12.gif

Tim_MN said:
I drive better than 90% of the people around here, including the immigrants who can't speak or read english. (or drive properly) My 1st and only accident was in 1984, my last moving violation ticket was in 1987. In Minnesota the DMV will give you a DL if you can pass the test in your own language. DRL's attract the attention of cell phone gabbing morons (pick your language) who aren't looking past thier own noses.

I hear you there - I'm fully convinced that AAA should create a distinction/discount bracket rather higher than "Good Driver" - I find it an insult, and just because everyone else can't drive, I've got to pay their damn insurance... Don't even get me started on moving - I was still with Allstate when I moved once, and I went about a mile - just enough to change ZIP codes.

My rates when up 30%.

As far as "cell-phone gabbing morons," I've got a simple solution. If you get busted talking on the 'phone for more than, say, 30 seconds (long enough to say "I'm driving right now, I'll call you back.") you don't get a ticket. You just get suspended for a year or so. Put your arse on Transit and talk all you want.

I find it interesting that the FIRST TWO "inattention codes" on the CHP Accident Report form are "Cell Phone - Handheld" and "Cell Phone - Handsfree." Face it - most of these people can't drive to begin with, so why do we allow them to drive and talk on the 'phone at the same time? (Come to think of it, why do we allow them to drive in the first place?)

As far as "multi-lingual" DMV, that's a practise that's just GOT to stop. The lingua franca of the United States is English - and if you're going to move here, you'd better learn it. All the signs are in English, all the cops speak English, so why shouldn't we?

And don't get me started on "Ethnically Weighted" tests. I'm not a California driver - this is an accident of timing, and strictly a temporary inconvenience. I didn't learn to drive out here, and I've yet to be convinced that anyone CAN. I turned in three driver's licenses to get this one, and I've taken the written test, to date, in three languages. I find it easier to do when you take it in something other than English - go figure. It's a pity I've never had reason to learn Asian languages - the closest I got to Asia was Arabic (Asia Minor...)

5-90

Back