• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camber out of spec. Ideas?

fbtased2002

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
8bae19ff7a59d52061676e6d1caa10c8.jpg

So I just got my rig back from the alignment shop today after I finish the install of my 3.5in lift and one ton steering and they show -2.3 degrees of camber on the driver side. After a bit of searching I’m thinking I need a 1.5 or 2 degree offset ball joint for that side right? Just want to make sure this is the “proper” fix and not just a bandaid. Also will I need another alignment after this install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something would have to be bent for camber to be off that much, so I would be surprised if camber is actually off on your XJ. What's suspicious with the alignment numbers is that the total camber (add both sides together) is approximately correct. This would suggest that the entire axle is tilted to the right which isn't possible unless you have two significantly different size tires on the front. I would be concerned that the alignment was not properly measured. I suggest trying a different shop, well unless you are aware of a possibly bent front axle.

I agree.
Or your ball joints are loose and falling out of the Cs theyre pressed into.

2deg shit youd be able see that and your tires are probly wearing uneven

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

stock upper control arms? check for bends

Sorry I left out a few details, the lift included new core4x4 adjustable control arms (short arms). I added 3/4in spring spacers to help with tire rub. And the Jeep was stock when I bought it so I doubt it was ever wheeled hard, it does show front passenger damage on the carfax it nothing on the axle or suspension looked bent or anything.

Oh and I installed alloyusa HD ball joints last year so I think they are still ok and tight in the Cs

Usually this is a bad balljoint, bent axle tube, or bent inner C on the axle housing. The upper part of the inner C is somewhat weak and will bend under heavy abuse. You can bend them back with a big hammer and enough anger but if you do not weld inner C braces on after that it will likely bend back again, at least in my experience.

I agree arms have nothing to do wit it

You should see the passenger lower arm on my cummins. Apparently it doesnt slide over rocks quite like the arms on my jeep

If balljoints are knurled im leaning hard towards them being loose in the bores.

Id also wonder if the tech actually knows what theyre doing on the rack. I think id trust my 4ft level and a flat concrete slab over some numbers spit out of a alignment machine thats probly incorrectly set up.

Also my ball joints did come loose in the Cs and I did get tires leaning in. For a long time I thought it was just how it was sitting.
Till one day I jacked it up to do something and the lower balljoint just about fell out.
I tried a redkneck line bore and eventually welded the balljoints in. Then I cut those out and welded in wj ball joints.

Id Jack it up and see if you get any movement out them. Since youve replsced them theres a good chance its now FUBAR
Or there is no issue at all

hadn't heard of camber shims before, that does seem like the easy fix, cant find any larger than 1degree though

I looked up the alloyusa joints. They are knurled its dam hard to find them not knurled

The knurling messes up the bores.

Once you run knurled ball joints you are stuck with them.

They exist to compensate for damaged bores, but they solve the problem by creating more damage. Not a good thing if your bores were in good shape initially.

well crap. good to know for the future

I have used Alloy USA ball joints on one of my XJs. At the time I put mine in, another XJer on another forum had issues with his at about 3 months. I did not for say a year and still have the uppers in there. I did a WJ Big brakes and Put Mevotechs in there. I did another WJ Big brake on another XJ and went with XRFs. They also have knurls.
From another thread on ball joints, Teraflex and Synergy offer ball joints with and without the knurling. I'll probably try Teraflex if I change the front axle at any point. There is a seller on Ebay that sells metal type XJ ball joints, made in the USA.. I do have a set, but not installed. I would have tried them for a WJ lower ball joint, but they don't offer one.

Check your unit bearings... mine made no noise and were out 2.5 degrees on one side

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Check your unit bearings... mine made no noise and were out 2.5 degrees on one side

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

I’ll check them, they were replaced with the ball joints about 5000 miles ago though

Back