• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jeep / Tools to bring?

mattlago

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, I have been lurking on the forum for awhile and there is some great information here, thank you. I have maybe an odd question. I have seen people ask what to bring on the trail but this is a little different.

I just bought a jeep at an auction. The Jeep is a 1996 SE 4.0 4 door 4x4 with 130,000 miles. It was a fire department vehicle and they state that it is a daily driver and runs etc. However, I need to drive it about 5 hours home all on freeway. I guess what I was wondering is what tools would you bring "just in case". Meaning, what size sockets are most common, hex bolt / torx bolt sizes etc. I want to bring a tool box with me just in case.

This is my second jeep but the other one was a 2001 that was a daily driver bought new and never really had to turn a wrench on it. Any thoughts, ridiculous or not would be helpful just in case. Thanks for your help in advance.

Assorted screwdrivers.

Both metric and standard sockets, regular and deep, 3/8" drive for what you might be able to handle roadside. I recommend six-point sockets not 12-point, and an assortment of combination wrenches, again metric and standard.

Unless you are really into wrenching (which it doesn't sound like) just buy from Harbor Freight.

Get a digital multimeter with an audible circuit continuity tester, and an analog meter will be helpful for testing the throttle position sensor for dead spots.

You will need some torx bits too.

For all the sockets, wrenches, and torx bits don't buy sets with huge sizes in them, it isn't very likely you will never use them, with the exception of the 30mm drain and fill plugs on the transfer case.

Is it a real nice RED? Got a siren?

I carry at all times in mine the following. Basic socket set mee/sae, 6pc 3/8 drive torx set, fullset of screw drivers with a few small size torx drivers, basic wrench set met/sae, 18" 3/4 breaker bar(lug wrench), torque wrench, dead blow, voltage meter, 13mm-19mm deep sockets, spark plug socket, 3/4 deep for lugs, dead blow, crescent wrench, channel lock, needle nose. All is place under the rear seat with a bottle jack, Hi-lift is either on the roof or in the back.

Thanks for the input so far. It is white and they took off the sirens and lights :bawl: which would have made it a ton more fun (gonna have to replace through ebay!). Looks like it is in pretty good shape, so Im hoping there is no suprises.

I wrench a little but have wasted more money on old dodges. Starting to sound like I should just bring my whole chest of tools. Kidding.

Thanks for the input, I am trying to see what is common and what I can fix in a jiff on the side of the road... That reminds me, I will add duct tape to the list.

Bring some spare hose (fuel hose probably, maybe brake line stuff and flare wrenches, bleeder hose, whatever it looks like you might need - just look under and see what's rusty/questionable), a reasonable amount of various fluids (brake/oil/coolant+water/ATF of required type for starters), and possibly a roll of baling wire and some pliers. I might also be tempted to bring a spare TPS, CPS, ignition coil, distributor cap, and some spark plugs + wires, but that's just me. Don't bother with anything like O2 sensors, spare bulbs (except headlight), you can worry about the non-critical stuff after it's in your driveway.

EDIT: jumper cables? Perhaps a spare serpentine belt and the wrenches needed to put it in, believe they're either 14 or 15mm.

Got AAA? When I bought my MJ in Vegas last year I drove it home to SoCal with only a small socket set and multi-screwdriver. I was secure knowing that I had a 300-mile tow from AAA if I needed it.

Dont have AAA. Not a bad idea. Was going to drive my wifes car up (good gas mileage) instead of my F150. But now Im thinking, will take the F150 just in case. I suppose the $75 in gas I save would not come close to a "what if garage and tow".

Thanks everyone for their help thus far.

I was gonna ask as a noob if I should post questions about an SYE, lift, axle questions, oil question or new bumpers without searching.... :laugh3:

Ask away, but wear your flame-retardant under garments!

Check out the FAQs on searching--"SYE" and other three or less characters will return ZERO hits with the NAXJA search engine. Use Google and add "naxja" to the end of your search expression for the best results when you can't find things on here.

Electrical tape, connectors male and female, crimp tool, 50' 12ga wire, fuses, along with all the other good things already listed.

50 ft. of wire? Holy crap.... Um, is that to rewire the cool lights and siren?

Joking, thanks again everyone! Appreciate the advice.

Back