• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with ZJ purchase

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 grand close to home. It's the last thing I need right now but I'm afraid I will regret it if I don't get it now. The thing is in mint condition. Almost zero rust, a big deal up here, NEW(not rebuilt) tranny 4 yrs ago, new transfer case, brakes, shocks etc. I 6 engine with 300 000 kms on it, I guess thats 160000 miles? Not safetied of course but oil, tranny fluid and rad fluid looks great. I could get it for $1500 CAD, not sure what it will take to safety but doesnt look like it should be much. This will mean I will have to part out the play jeep and my dd will be allocated to the play jeep. What do you guys think? Too high mileage? I value your opinions, please let me know asap. I cant stop thinking about it.

Well 160,000 for a 4.0 isn't too bad if its been maintained. Coming from a ZJ background i can tell you the 42re isn't the hottest tranny chrysler produced but if it truly is a NEW good, brand name tranny then i wouldn't be too worried. See if you can get some reciepts or proof of the tranny and other new parts like Torque Converter. Its prolly got a 35 in the back too, which is crap. I guess it depends on how much you like your play jeep that you're going to have to part out. If it were me I'd grab a clean, rust free 1997 160,000 miles ZJ for 1500 in two seconds. But I'm getting to know them pretty well and would love to have a nice DD!!

Mike

$1500 for a mint bodied (low to no rust) with a 4.0 .... with proper maintainence 160,000 is not much at all. Well broken in but not on its last leg by a long shot. You gota another 100,000 miles - 200,000 miles if your half way lucky.

In detroit (we are literally build above salt mines, we salt the living crap outta our roads in the winter) a rust free '97 would get my attention.

I dont see how you can go wrogn for $1,500.

Its got a new tranny. If the engine should fail in less than 70-80k miles you still got a good deal, and now you can stroke it. Easier to drop in a stroker than work on an old rust bucket.

My '97 cost $5,500 by the time I put a radiator and fuel pump in it. I'd take $1,500 any day, as long as you're sure you're not being taken.

XJ Dreamin' said:
My '97 cost $5,500 by the time I put a radiator and fuel pump in it. I'd take $1,500 any day, as long as you're sure you're not being taken.

I hear ya, but how do you know? Checked everything I could as far as fluids for colour etc. The story is his friend had a pick up for sale and he made him an offer to buy the pick up that he couldnt refuse so now he has to get rid of the jeep. Hes a farmer out here and his daughter had it for a dd in University in Windsor. Keep em coming and thanks.

tkjeeper said:
I hear ya, but how do you know? Checked everything I could as far as fluids for colour etc. The story is his friend had a pick up for sale and he made him an offer to buy the pick up that he couldnt refuse so now he has to get rid of the jeep. Hes a farmer out here and his daughter had it for a dd in University in Windsor. Keep em coming and thanks.

If it looks good then it's down to just you. Do you want to? The farmer's daughter's '97 for $1,500 sounds good, though.

My 4.0L '97 gets 20mpg with no mods and it no doubt needs a tune up. The tranny is the only real issue between XJ and ZJ, mechanically, and that's already been handled. At this point, if you're still indecisive, I would flip a coin.

The only other potential big problems you may have with that ZJ is a cracked exhaust manifold if it hasn't already been repaired as well as the blower deflector doors becoming inoperable. That is about a $800 to $1000 repair as the whole dash has to come apart. Again it may already have been taken care of. How do you know there is almost zero rust? For me rust and roaches have the same properties. If you see a little there is usually more somewhere else. I would get underneath the Jeep and see if you can break free any pieces of what appears to be undercoating on the underside of the floor. Still 1500 is a good buy. Good luck with it.

yardape said:
...as well as the blower deflector doors becoming inoperable. That is about a $800 to $1000 repair as the whole dash has to come apart.

I've read about that with the WJ - not so much with the ZJ. There was a write-up on NAGCA or [gag]JU[/gag] detailing the disassembly of the dash and repair of the vent louvers as a driveway job over a weekend. I'm sure that was a WJ. Either way, the vent louvers are a big job, but they don't have to be an expensive job.

Back