• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About to bite the bullet, maybe 98 XJ

JohnR

NAXJA Forum User
Well, down here in South Texas 4x4's, especially Jeeps, go for a premium. I found a cherry 98 Cherokee 4.0 aw4, with the 8.25" 3.55 gear open diff in rear (tag was still on it!). The exterior is black in perfect condition, the interior is perfect, non-smoker (til I get it), etc. My question is, does the 8.25 definetly have the 29 spline axles? They're asking 5k cashprice (negotiable). It has 85k miles on it. What do you guys think? Should I buy it or shop around?

5K is a reasonable price for that with 85K miles.. if you can get it lower thats even better but i think it's reasonable. and the rear axle is def a 29-spline(unless it was swapped out by someone.)

It still has the plastic tag on the passenger-side wheel on the axle. I'll see if he'll take 4,500cash in a bit. Have to head out to the welding shop, fill up my co2 tank, have a welding job today (first one ever) repairing rust on a nissan 240sx. I quoted the kid 25/hr and he moaned a bit, but agreed. Anyhow, fill up the tank, buy some scrap sheet metal (of course passing along the price + 15%), then talk to the dealer. Woot.

if he is asking 5K, then 4500 is too high for your initial offer. walk in with 4K in hundreds and say here you go, final offer. if he counters, then slowly pick up your hundreds, turn around and walk back to your car. you probably won't get there.

Wow, do I ever suck at negotiating...

:)

The 8.25 axle went to 29 spline in 1997, while the front Dana 30 began coming with the 5-297 u-joint in 1995. (Or, do I have that backwards?)

The 1998 would be quite desirable; with the OBD II non-0331 head, bigger 8.25, better D30 u-joints, excellent parts availability, cheaper NVG 231 SYE and with such low milage you have years of play time ahead of you!

:)

Back