• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help w/Ford Explorer...

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '93 Ford Eplorer(4.0;Auto) and I thought the battery died cause it was making a 'click' when I turned the key so I hook it up to the XJ and it fired right up and I drove it for about 40 miles before leaving it overnight in my driveway and it did the same 'click' thing the next morning so I change out the battery and got the same thing so I wiggle the positive wire on the starter(tried to jump directly to the starter) to pop it off with no luck and wut do ya kno but the bloody thing starts right up and does so again the next morning and several times since. I go to get in it tonight and I hear the starter going and right about the time when the motor would run on it's own the starter cuts to the 'click' noise. I'm trying to figure out what the heck is wrong w/it...the old battery was the original, I tested it and it had life left on it so I ended up putting a fully chargerd new battery in...I'm just confused
Thanks for the help

Sounds like you might have a bad connection somewhere. That, or maybe your starter is developing a flat spot. Same thing happened to my '91 Explorer and my fathers old '94 Explorer. It seems like a common problen among first gen X's

Clean or replace the wires. And if that doesent do it I would bet your starter is taking a dump.

Brian

I've seen a lot of Ford starters with "flats" - having a "hot" boost will sometimes resolve that. It's like when your electric drill won't turn - but you spin the chuck a bit by hand and it fires right up.

Apart from that, the best thing I can recomment is RDX or TNT. Need some?

"I don't trust a Ford I didn't build..."

5-90

Actually this is the first time ever the Explorer has let me down and I've had it 3 years...I had somebody turn the key while I stood near the engine bay and listened and the click was coming from the passenger side(starter's on the left side) and the click is either coming fom under the airbox or under the relay box w/all the fuses in it. I was going to jump right to the starter but I can't figure out where the heck the starter wire is, I can see it where it connects to the starter but I lose sight of it after that.

Thanks for the tips

Click is probably coming from the solenoid mounted on the fender just behind the battery (and under all the other crap). I agree with the rest - my son's '92 did the same thing and the starter was toast. Pretty easy to pull and Autozone will test it for you.

Back