• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High pitched whine/ whistle noise in engine area

Orionseye

NAXJA Forum User
new here but here is my problem i have a 1993 Cherokee country 4.0l FI and just started having this problem of a high pitched whine or whistleing noise. If i open the hood it sound like it is in the top of the engine back torwards the firewall area any idea of help would be great thanz guys. Forgot to add it is at idle mostly that you hear it and not all the time. Some times it is there , sometimes it isn't there , when it is there and you get on the gas it goes away , and it is really loud high pitched noise when the hood is open.

I was gonna initally say a pulley or belt problem, but if it is right up on the firewall...hard to say

John B said:
I also had that noise once, turned out to be a bad vac line elbow at the intake manifold.

What he said. Sounds like a vacuum line to me.

most definately vacuum leak (broken line)

especially since it is loudest at idle (when vac pressure is at its greatest)

Manual or auto trans, can you hear it inside?...my throw out bearing had a nice med-high pitch whine to it a little before it dumped my clutch all over the road at the intersection turning into the dealership.

I had something similar but I think it might have been more of a squeek. I finally figured out it was the distributor. It had some play in the shaft and squeeked like mad at slow rpms, but not always.

auto trans and you can hear it when it does inside the cab , like the whine of of engine noise coming though the radio but reall low in sound level but on the high scale of the decil(sp) level of noise , sounds like it is right in the middle of the dash , it stops or quites out about 30mph , stop at a idle and open the hood and it really loud , though it doesn't do it all the time , i just like to track it down and fix it then just let it be as this is the first jeep i have own and like to try to fix things then let them be . Btw i was reading another post about wipers, went and picked up the bushing replacement bushing kit 49445 < they was out but had one replacement bushing kit 49447 that listed 2000 to 93 cherokee jeeps and 30 mins later all fixed thanks everyone for the help

Its kinda hard to tell when seing how we can't hear but on my Jeep, my distributor was squealing, but the pitch was just odd enough to sound kinda like a whistle, and it would usually only do it at idle and would go away and come back on its own.

distributer

Orionseye said:
new here but here is my problem i have a 1993 Cherokee country 4.0l FI and just started having this problem of a high pitched whine or whistleing noise. If i open the hood it sound like it is in the top of the engine back torwards the firewall area any idea of help would be great thanz guys. Forgot to add it is at idle mostly that you hear it and not all the time. Some times it is there , sometimes it isn't there , when it is there and you get on the gas it goes away , and it is really loud high pitched noise when the hood is open.

I had a similar problem recently.
It was the distributer.
It happened to me when the car was cold and lasted a few minutes.
I could feel a vibration on the cap when noisy.

good luck :us:

Still trying to track that the problem , some times it's there some times it isn't , but i noticed that on the fuel rail the end closest to the firewall , that is seems to be open i think , i can put the tip of my finger in the end of the rail ... is this right or is there to be a plug of something on the end of it

Orionseye said:
Still trying to track that the problem , some times it's there some times it isn't , but i noticed that on the fuel rail the end closest to the firewall , that is seems to be open i think , i can put the tip of my finger in the end of the rail ... is this right or is there to be a plug of something on the end of it

Not sure about the plug, but I will look tonight when I get home.

Back