• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welder (True Options)

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so my old man was on a welding spree for a while there and picked up four diffiernet welders for about 500 hundy. We use all but one. I finally got to it, that is checking it out, after it has sat in the shop for the past three years. Here are a couple pics of it.

1332440931.jpg

1332440934.jpg

This is the top left control knob pic.

1332440932.jpg

This is the bottom left control knob pic.

1332440933.jpg

My question is why does it show a pic and is printed on the control panel that it has a postion for "Tig" and "Mig" and "Arc" welding?

Is it even possible to have one welder perform three different types of welding?

I did remove all the covers or the body from the entire unit and there were no regulators or wire spool rolls or motors. Also as you can see from the last pic that there is only the two lead connectors for "Arc" welding.

I know they make spool guns, were the spool of wire is mounted to the actual gun end. Is this the type of setup id have to use or do they make an additional box that you plug the welder into that has the spool of wire and then the gun like a normal "Mig" welder.

I'm mostly in need of a "Mig" welder that is bigger than the little buzz box that I use know, which only welds up to 3/16" good. 1/4" I dont get no were near the penitration that I need.

My pops is talking about selling it but if I could "Mig" 1/4" with it I'd be able to talk him into keeping it espically after it only has 330 hours on it.

Thanks

Uhh, I don't think 1/4" would be much of a problem with that thing. Yes, it is possible for one machine to be able to do all the different types of welding. Yes, you would need either a spool gun or an external wire feed unit to do flux-core or MIG. From what I read online it would need to be a voltage-sensing wire feed unit.

it is a monster. typically seen on the back of a truck for commercial use. great machine. do you have all the attachments? a tig torch can be used if you have the the torch/lines/pedal/bottle. wire feed if you have the spool/feeder/gun/bottle. and arc with the cables. not to mention that it is also a 8000w generator. most guys use it as a mobil arc machine. $500 was a great score if it works good.

I think he said his dad paid 500 for several welders, including the bobcat... thats not a score, that pure highway robbery!

I could put that on a trailer and have a heck of a little side gig going.

My offer still stands.

:D

~ Stump

I think he said his dad paid 500 for several welders, including the bobcat... thats not a score, that pure highway robbery!

I could put that on a trailer and have a heck of a little side gig going.

My offer still stands.

:D

~ Stump

It was highway robber. Espically when my pops said that two of the other welders are the best and smotheat welders he has ever worked with. I believe him when he says that beacuase he was a certified welder for aboit 20 years. He use to have to weld pipe on the inside for gas pipeline and a hole lot of other things.

The guy he bought it from new what he had but sold a ton of other shit and basicly thru those into the deal. After the guy was about 90 years old.

As for the offer i havent done any research on bivver size mig welders so i would ha e to say no deal.

I am a Union Pipefitter/Welder as well. Thats what I do for a living, and know my way around a bobcat. That is a fine machine you have there, and would serve any welder perfectly, regardless of process needed. Im not entirely sure what your last sentence means, but I was joking about the trade....You could sell that and buy 4 or 5 of the welders I was offering. Do some research, and you will see. Search Craigslist for Bobcat 225NT.

Good luck with it.

~ Stump

Back