• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Hydraulic Questions

SV-BDN

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently bought my first XJ. A 1993 with a 4.0l, AX15 and NP231J transfer case.

My first order of business was to replace that damn leaking internal slave cylinder set up, with a proper external slave set up.

I ordered a clutch kit for a 1996 XJ, tracked down a bellhousing and bearing plate. I've replaced everything successfully, but am having an issue with the clutch hydraulics.

First question, was there ever a clutch hydraulic set up offered with normal fittings. and not these slip fittings?

It looks like the PO had some some upgrades to the clutch hydraulics. There is a woven stainless steel line that ran from the MC to the internal slave. The internal slave input line was flared with a fitting, looked like a DIY job, but definitely done well. SS hydraulic line has a threaded output. The new clutch slave cylinder is one of those slip type fittings... I need an adapter.

Question 2: will these adapters fit the slip fitting on a stock 1996 XJ slave cylinder? https://m.autozone.com/fittings-and...-pcs-3-an-universal-clutch-fitting/542225_0_0

Question 3: is there not supposed to be a bleeder screw on the slave cylinder? How do I bleed the system when I finally figure out the hydraulic line?

Sorry for the basic questions, I am new to these older Cherokees, I have mainly worked on german cars and my wife's JK.

That might fit, but then again it might not. Without actual dimensions it is hard to say if it will work or not.

I think it is Advance Adapters who has a few different sizes of those, along with details about which years/models they work with.

As you alter things with where that stainless braided line runs, pay real close attention to the location of the exhaust system. The clutch line and the exhaust don't play together particularly well, and the failure mode will give you a memorable experience. What happens is the heat from the exhaust softens the line and then you press the pedal and the line springs a leak. Of course the leak is going to be sprung where the line is the softest, and the line will be softest where it is closest to the exhaust. This means the hole will be perfectly aimed to spray brake fluid directly on the hot header. And guess what? Brake fluid is flammable. All sorts of fun and excitement ensues. Just a little detail to be aware of as you play with that system.

If the stainless braid winds up being the wrong length for this application then you could just swap it out for the original design nylon (or whatever it is) line. The factory formed line does a decent job of following a safe route, again provided you pay attention to things. There is enough room for play to still screw things up. DAMHIKT.

With regard to bleeding, no, there is no bleed screw. These systems are pretty small and largely vertical. What you do is compress the slave cylinder all the way a few times and it should chase all the bubbles to the top. Just compress it somewhat slowly and let it return, then repeat a couple times. If you can get someone to watch the master while you do that they can give you feedback as to when the bubbles cease appearing.

I ended up getting the clutch sorted last night. Yes those connectors fit the stock slave cylinder, and would probably for the master cylinder too.

Ended up having to run about a foot of hard line to the stainless line because it was a bit short. Took your warning to heed Anak, and routed the stainless line away from the exhaust and exhaust manifold.

Drove well so far, hopefully it all holds up!

Back