• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LOOKING FOR A LOCAL MACHINE SHOP RECOMMENDATION

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone here have an engine machine shop in or near Ulster County NY that they feel does really good work? Or a horror story about one that I should avoid?

It's looking like my 96 has a burnt valve or maybe even a damaged valve seat. I'm not 100% sure yet as I haven't pulled the head. I just picked up the rig for a pretty good price because it could barely idle. After fixing multiple massive vacuum leaks and a good tune up, its WAY better than before but still has a miss at idle. I did a compression test (which I should have done first:smsoap:) and all cylinders came up within specs except #3 which is at 75 psi dry and 80 wet. Ive got nice even travel across all 12 rockers. I have no idea how long the PO drove it with all of those leaks but it was certainly running lean enough to burn a valve.

Obviously I'll know more once I pull the head, but if I have it off it only makes sense to get it checked out and freshened up. I'm just trying to think a few steps ahead so everything goes as smooth as it possibly can. Considering what I paid and how solid the body is I feel its totally worth putting the extra money into it to achieve a 21 year old Jeep thats as reliable as it can be. I guess the paint job is just gonna have to wait a while....

Back