• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker Options Front vs rear

xjsport96

NAXJA Forum User
Alright well im looking to get a spool for my jeep most likely an aussie. Im not looking to argue about the performance of a front vs rear locker. Just wondering which would be better for daily driver comfort. Im just looking at spools for now to keep up with my buddies Front/rear locked rig until i can finish a full width build so im not looking for any full case lockers.
Thanks -Alex

Well if you are looking for DD comfort then a Aussie would be best as a spool would make the jeep hop or chirp around corners if in the rear and if in the front would make steering extremely difficult. IMO

I always thought front lockers were best for DD's but once I needed 4wd in the snow, I changed my mind. It totally sucks in the snow when in 4wd. So i took that out and put a rear locker in. So much better.

Alright well im looking to get a spool for my jeep most likely an aussie. Im not looking to argue about the performance of a front vs rear locker. Just wondering which would be better for daily driver comfort. Im just looking at spools for now to keep up with my buddies Front/rear locked rig until i can finish a full width build so im not looking for any full case lockers.
Thanks -Alex

You can't have both. If you are looking to keep up with your buddy off road - do the rear. But there are trade offs on the street. Yup some tire chirping, a few pops and bangs. No biggie.

You could do the front - sure. But it won't do you nearly as much good as a rear locker off road.

Just an opinion after 20 years of locked driving on and off the road. My DD tow rig has a rear locker even. Don't even notice it any more.

If you plan to trash your current axles and replace with full width - why not just weld it up. it's free....

You could do the front - sure. But it won't do you nearly as much good as a rear locker off road.

I used to think this way as well, until some good folks on this board presented some sound reasoning as to why it is the opposite. As the OP mentioned he wasn't debating off road performance I won't post more on it, but I'm sure if you search you might change your mind on this.

I used to think this way as well, until some good folks on this board presented some sound reasoning as to why it is the opposite. As the OP mentioned he wasn't debating off road performance I won't post more on it, but I'm sure if you search you might change your mind on this.

Not to clog the thread.....

But i have tried it both ways. For me, the rear has always the better performing off road if you could only pick one. That said - it's a long fought debate in the off road world.

Back on topic........

go aussie...front/rear...you'll love it. After a few weeks you wont know even notice it as one other said. Offroad...WOW! Heck with keeping up with buddies, be better!!

Front locker is better for daily driving as it has no effect until you use 4WD.
not true in all cases the jeeps with the 242 t case give alot of feed back when turning sharp on the pavment, sand or dirt . i have both front and rear lockers love it i say x2 on the welding its free and if your gonna go f/s then dont waiste ur money.

You can't have both. If you are looking to keep up with your buddy off road - do the rear. But there are trade offs on the street. Yup some tire chirping, a few pops and bangs. No biggie.

Just an opinion after 20 years of locked driving on and off the road. My DD tow rig has a rear locker even. Don't even notice it any more.

If you plan to trash your current axles and replace with full width - why not just weld it up. it's free....

A lot of people say it's OK, but all those chirps, pops, and bangs mean wear and stress on the whole drivetrain.

Real world experience has shown me that XJ's work best with a locker in the rear (when forced to have only one).

I would weld the rear spider gears and save the money from the rear spool to buy a aussie auto locker for the front. you would only get tire chirping in the rear and it wouldnt affect your on road manners plus it would be free in the rear. I just bought a front aussie for $229 straight from aussie's website, you can find good used lockright fronts for like $160-180 but I wouldnt personally roll with a spool up front. Do you have a vacuum disconnect on your front axle? If so you can weld your front spiders too and whenever the vacuum disconnect is disconnected you will have two wheels that can spin at different speeds then when you lock the disconnect the axle will be solid just like it you had a spool.

not true in all cases the jeeps with the 242 t case give alot of feed back when turning sharp on the pavment, sand or dirt . i have both front and rear lockers love it i say x2 on the welding its free and if your gonna go f/s then dont waiste ur money.
Trudat, I was basing it on a 231 t-case.

But with a 242 wouldn't you always be using 4wd, seeing as to how it's full-time? John's statement can stand uncorrected. ;)

Real world experience has shown me that XJ's work best with a locker in the rear (when forced to have only one).

Maybe you wheel in different terrain, but in the rocks here in socal, real word observations have shown me the opposite, and the theories explaining it are sound. Just sayin.

xjsport96: just to clarify:

A "spool" is a single piece carrier that replaces the differential. It locks both wheels together all the time. It requires the same work to install as a full-case locker.

There is a product called a "mini-spool" which can be installed in a stock carrier. This also locks the axles together They're used mainly in drag racing, and I don't think they make them for Jeep axles.

A "drop in" or "lunch box" locker is a drop in dog-clutch style locking differential that installs in or "drops in" a stock carrier. It replaces the differential gears. This is what the Aussie locker is. The
Powertrax Lock-rite is a similar product.

If you're worried about on-road drivability, you don't want to put a spool in.
The drop in locker in the rear will click/clatter going around corners.
In the front it is unnoticeable until you engage 4wd.

Yes, the OP needs to learn the difference between a spool and a locker, they're not the same as posted above.

The automatic locker, like all lunchbox lockers are, is pretty invisible in the front in 2wd. You won't feel anything but you can hear some slight chattering around real tight turns. You'll notice a locker in the rear much more, but it's still just fine and worth the better off road performance. If most of your wheeling is on steep wet or loose climbs, then a rear only locker is probably preferred over a front only locker. But, if you're wheeling is over rocks and roots and obstacle type stuff then a front only locker usually works better. If I could only run one, front or rear, I'd always run only front. One of my rigs is spooled in front with an air locker in the rear, and I rarely lock the rear. You always have the option of applying a little hand brake in the rear, which is easier than modulating the brake pedal to get an open front to hook up.

I'd gladly wheel front only against anyone rear only. :cheers:

Yes, the OP needs to learn the difference between a spool and a locker, they're not the same as posted above.

The automatic locker, like all lunchbox lockers are, is pretty invisible in the front in 2wd. You won't feel anything but you can hear some slight chattering around real tight turns. You'll notice a locker in the rear much more, but it's still just fine and worth the better off road performance. If most of your wheeling is on steep wet or loose climbs, then a rear only locker is probably preferred over a front only locker. But, if you're wheeling is over rocks and roots and obstacle type stuff then a front only locker usually works better. If I could only run one, front or rear, I'd always run only front. One of my rigs is spooled in front with an air locker in the rear, and I rarely lock the rear. You always have the option of applying a little hand brake in the rear, which is easier than modulating the brake pedal to get an open front to hook up.

I'd gladly wheel front only against anyone rear only. :cheers:

Had I not experienced this for myself, I wouldn't have believed it.

I started with a rear locker, then installed a front locker. Now I have a selectable locker in the rear and a locker up front.

Alright well im looking to get a spool for my jeep most likely an aussie. ... Just wondering which would be better for daily driver comfort. Im just looking at spools for now to keep up with my buddies Front/rear locked rig until i can finish a full width build so im not looking for any full case lockers.
Thanks -Alex

Get an Aussie up front and save your pennies for your full widths.. ;)

E

Do you have a vacuum disconnect on your front axle? If so you can weld your front spiders too and whenever the vacuum disconnect is disconnected you will have two wheels that can spin at different speeds then when you lock the disconnect the axle will be solid just like it you had a spool.

so this would be safe for on-road driving when in 2wd??

Front locker is better for daily driving as it has no effect until you use 4WD.

The automatic locker, like all lunchbox lockers are, is pretty invisible in the front in 2wd. You won't feel anything but you can hear some slight chattering around real tight turns.

A front locker in 2wd is going to be almost invisible.

Back