• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 xj 3 inch lift question

RedMaineXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I tried search, somehow it won't let me type into box (weird!)
Anyhow, I am about to purchase a 3" lift but I keep finding conflicting results as to what is NECESSARY vs what is RECOMMENDED.
I don't have a lot of money, and it is my daily driver with three kids. I will not be going into heavy trails, largely dirt roads and some fairly uneven terrain. Nothing bigger than maybe volleyball rocks.
Any input is appreciated...so far I know for certain leaf springs, coils, and shocks. Will these items suffice alone with a proper alignment?
Thanks in advance!

Biggest issue for you would be a SYE. 97-01 XJ's don't like to be lifted w/o careful attention to the drivetrain.

No lift kit is complete, and some lift kits are more complete than others. An XJ Cherokee lifted 3 inches of lift should have: lift coils, lift leaf springs, longer shocks, longer sway bar links, longer brake lines, adjustable track bar, slightly extended bump stops, and either a transfer case drop or an SYE and matching driveshaft. Longer lower control arms are suggested, but not required.

Last edited:
So much for getting out of this cheaply!
Ah well, like most things, if you want the goods you got to pay.

A stock XJ is super capable without a massive lift and you can use some other "stock" parts to help. You could source upcountry coils to net about 1", install some bigger isolator pads for maybe .75" or ACOS adjustable up to 2". WJ Lower control arms (fully boxed vs junk stock XJ ones) little fender trim and shackle relocation or bastard pack for new leafs in the rear should balance out enough of a lift to stick some slightly bigger tires. Upgrade your tierod to either a V8 ZJ one or solid aftermarket one. Add a lunchbox in the rear and you'll do what without needing to put a full lift on. Lifts are great but really traction is a better upgrade IMHO. Everything above (except the ACOS) you could do for under 600 probably cheaper depending if you go the JY or buy new.

A stock XJ is super capable without a massive lift and you can use some other "stock" parts to help. You could source upcountry coils to net about 1", install some bigger isolator pads for maybe .75" or ACOS adjustable up to 2". WJ Lower control arms (fully boxed vs junk stock XJ ones) little fender trim and shackle relocation or bastard pack for new leafs in the rear should balance out enough of a lift to stick some slightly bigger tires. Upgrade your tierod to either a V8 ZJ one or solid aftermarket one. Add a lunchbox in the rear and you'll do what without needing to put a full lift on. Lifts are great but really traction is a better upgrade IMHO. Everything above (except the ACOS) you could do for under 600 probably cheaper depending if you go the JY or buy new.

Thanks for the input! I think you are right, for my needs and budget, three inches is probably a little lofty.
By the way, what the heck is a bastard pack??

A bastard pack involves cutting the eyes off another main leaf and using that as an add-a-leaf to your existing spring pack. Usually a good option if your current leaves aren't totally clapped out and sagging. I used the main leaf from another XJ leaf pack, plus spacers up front, as smokeyyank mentioned, and netted out right at 2 inches of lift front and rear. That and 30in tires is perfect for me as a daily/forest road rig. Most people use an XJ spring pack or Chevy S10 to get the main leaf from.

The ZJ V8 tierod upgrade is great as well, much stronger and tightens the steering up a lot over the stock tube tierod.

My requirements were the same as yours.

Here's what I did.

Up Country coils and springs
Bilstein 4600 shocks with BPEs
Front and Rear tow hitches
Heavy duty Tie Rod
Monroe Steering shock
M.O.R.E. steering box brace
Upgraded steering spacer
RuffStuffs The Cure (huge difference in steering response)
235/75/15 Geolanders

Next and final add will be a traction device.

No transfer case to rebuild, no vibes to chase down, no death wobble, no loss in already poor fuel economy, etc.

All of the above is less $$$ than a properly done 3" lift and plenty capable of meeting your stated needs.

I had a similar question in October (https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1150764). Someone shared this chart that was really helpful

VDdfGop.jpg

Yeah it helped me a lot too, real Thanks go out to CastorTroy for sharing with me. I think there is still some debate on what is really required vs recommended (e.g. I would expect to need a SYE at 3"), but that will at least get you in the ballpark. Frustrating that almost all lift kits aren't actually full kits, they should at least tell you what other parts you'll need/they recommend.

I have lifted both of my Cherokees with good used lift kit parts sourced from the junkyard, 4x4 swap meets, bartering, Craigslist, and eBay. This includes used aluminum rims and gently used tires.

My 2000 is lifted 5.5 inches and almost all the lift parts are Rubicon Express. My 98 is lifted 3 inches and I think I spent maybe $250 for all the lift kit parts.

If you have a plan, and are patient, you can save 50-70% off the cost of all new parts.

Last edited:
Thanks Tim. Yeah, I spend lots of time on CL and ebay, browsing and dreaming about stuff I wish I could afford. I definitely work to get the balance between cost and quality as close as possible :read:

I have lifted both of my Cherokees with good used lift kit parts sourced from the junkyard, 4x4 swap meets, bartering, Craigslist, and eBay. This includes used aluminum rims and gently used tires.

My 2000 is lifted 5.5 inches and almost all the lift parts are Rubicon Express. My 98 is lifted 3 inches and I think I spent maybe $250 for all the lift kit parts.

If you have a plan, and are patient, you can save 50-70% off the cost of all new parts.

This is very true. There’s always someone upgrading from where you’re upgrading to. When I travel I check Craigslist for all the cities I pass through. One year I made 3 stops for Jeep parts while on vacation. My wife used to get aggravated. Now she just rolls her eyes, but I’ve saved a ton of money that way. The key is patience and having some cash on hand because the good deals don’t last long.

Back