• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a blown tranny seal a common issue when water crossing?

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
252158_2186129903081_1542048728_32318548_6208677_n.jpg

Went through deeper stuff then this, all for short periods of time. Ran fine, drove it to camp site was fine. In the morning it was smoking. Looks like there is Tranny Fluid every where, from the valve cover to exhaust. I'm guessing a blown trans seal? Is this something common when deal with a lot of water?

If you had it in OD and were flooring it the whole time letting it up and downshift constantly as it gained and lost traction, it could have heated up and done that... most likely though its just coincidence

I would check for a leak on the tranny cooler lines up front. There's nothing about a water crossing that should cause the tranny to leak unless water got in your vent and filled the tranny with water. If that happened I would think the tranny would sh!t itself long before it even got warmed up.

My bet is that you got water in the vent on the top of the tranny and when you heated up the tranny it boiled, blowing out ATF through the vent and the dip stick.

This happened to a friend of mine when his torque converter would not lock going down the road. The TC heated up and pushed tranny fluid up the dipstick and it blew all over the engine bay. Test to make sure your torque converter is locking/unlocking. Take your Jeep down the road and get up to a consistent 40 mph. Just lightly press on the brake pedal with your left foot. You should see the rpms jump up slightly. This is the torque converter unlocking. It will lock again when you let off the brake pedal. Do this a few times just to make sure its working properly.

My bet is that you got water in the vent on the top of the tranny and when you heated up the tranny it boiled, blowing out ATF through the vent and the dip stick.

That sounds most likely. So the seal might actually still be good bc the fact that the valve cover was covered kinda leads to that. Anyone think just adding that honey trans sealer would be good a idea after adding some fluid?

Keep the sealer out until you verify it wasn't water in the ATF.

That sounds most likely. So the seal might actually still be good bc the fact that the valve cover was covered kinda leads to that. Anyone think just adding that honey trans sealer would be good a idea after adding some fluid?

no.

you didnt blow a seal, why would you toss elmer's glue in your transmission? get the tranny flushed and call it a day.

Back