• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Door Locks- Unlock but Won't Lock

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
01 2 door XJ.

My power door locks switch won't work to lock the doors, but it will work to unlock the doors. I replaced the passenger side master switch a couple years ago when they wouldn't work in either direction.

Is this still a switch issue or is it more likely wiring?

Some basic diagnostics with a $5 - $15 volts ohms-multi-meter should provide the answers. Check the voltage, check the continuity to ground, and test the switches and circuits.

When I 1st got my xj I chased a power lock gremlin for a few days -- Sometimes the doors would lock, sometimes they wouldn't -- they would always unlock

Testers, pulling door panels, checking wires -- I just couldn't figure it out...

When it all finally came together I realized it was by design -- sometimes I had the key inserted in the ignition, sometimes I didn't -- spent days chasing the gremlin and all along it was the key in the ignition

So I'm going to say it -- Are you trying to lock the doors with the key in the ignition?

Can you hear the actuator engaging when you press the unlock button? Is so, are all of the doors not locking? Or just one?

I can hear it engage (albeit it sounds kind of weak) when I unlock, but not when I lock. It unlocks the driver, passenger, and hatch when I press unlock.

When I 1st got my xj I chased a power lock gremlin for a few days -- Sometimes the doors would lock, sometimes they wouldn't -- they would always unlock

Testers, pulling door panels, checking wires -- I just couldn't figure it out...

When it all finally came together I realized it was by design -- sometimes I had the key inserted in the ignition, sometimes I didn't -- spent days chasing the gremlin and all along it was the key in the ignition

So I'm going to say it -- Are you trying to lock the doors with the key in the ignition?

Tried both ways, no difference.

The most common thing should be a broken wire in the wiring from the door to the jamb. Pull the door panel and hook up a volt meter selectively to each side and watch for the voltage change when the lock/unlock is engaged.

There are two relay's in that design. One opens the lock the other closes it. Both should be located behind the kick panel on the passengers side. I would unplug both, reverse them and see if the problem moves.

Back