• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC evaporator core diagnosis?

XJ Eric

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my a/c died last year and had it refilled and it worked for a bit but died again. We threw that dye in there and took the black light to it. Couldn't find anything leaking. We think we've narrowed it down to the evaporator core inside the dash. I've got the dash mostly torn apart but I really don't want to yank the steering column to take the whole dash out just to get at the dang evap core. anybody got any ideas on how to get to it to at least see inside for the dye? and at worst take it out?

THis is on a 98 XJ 4.0
:huh:

Not sure this will help, but here's a write-up on R&Ring the heater core in an '89. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=931690 I would think getting at the evaporator requires pretty much the same approach.
If your not seeing the dye any other place, but your still loosing pressure, I'd certainly suspect the evap coil, or other components, such as the expansion valve (on the fire wall). Short of pulling the evap unit, maybe you can disconnect the expansion valve and plug the lines. Either vacuum the system, or pressurize and again check for leaks. This could isolate the leak to either inside or outside the engine compartment.

I took a look at that and at the Haynes manual and of course it covers the removal of the 96 and older dash. GRRRRRrrrr....
So no real help there. I'm pretty sure the problem is in the evaporator but I really need to know how to get in there without yanking my stupid steering column. Its my daily driver and I can't really be without it for long.

OK, so I've got all of it torn apart I think.
How do I get it out? I pulled all the bolts, all the screws everything. I figured out the the column doesn't need to be removed to get the dash away from the firewall. I'll have to pull it to get it out completely of course, but it seems to be getting caught up somewhere in the center. I can't seem to find the hang up.

ANY BODY HAVE EXPERIENCE PULLING A DASH?

Back