• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendation for paint cleaning product

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
I have the oh so common clear coat failure on the hood and roof of my 96 XJ. I like the patina of the worn paint, it lets people know its 20+ years old. However, I can't stand the white stuff that is right at the edge of whats left of the clear coat. Anyone know of a product that when mixed with a little elbow grease will at least mask that white stuff?

I have NO interest in painting the jeep. I just want to clean up whats left of the original paint.

thanks.

IMG_1425 by erik omland, on Flickr

Personally I would get a flex block and some 1500 grit wet or dry and wet sand it down to where it is gone, then get a buffer with some fine cut cleaner and buff it out, or at that point put another coat of clear coat on it.

Looks like mine I am working on the same problem, but the clear coat remains in your photo looks yellow ish? (passenger side). The white part (I could be wrong) looks like the primer under the paint, just like on my 87 Wagoneer. The clear coat is long gone on mine, and the paint is down to a white primer underneath, and even that is giving way to rust this year.

I need an entire paint job on mine now.:bawl:

It's actually the opposite. The passenger side has no clear coat. And the green metallic has faded to this really cool greenish yellow that looks like a beatle's shell. The driver side has clear on it still but it's all cracked. The white stuff is the edges of what's left of the clear coat. I went to the car wash a few weeks ago and they sprayed it with "hot wax". That made the white go away but it only lasted for a day or two. If we get a good steady rain for a day it makes the whit go away too. When it's in that state it actually looks pretty good. Well used but good. I want to find a way to get the white stuff to go away permanently but I don't want to loose the matte beatle shell color on the passenger side by laying more clear on it.

You guys probably think I'm crazy haha. But I really dig the weathered look it has now. Minus the white stuff of course. It's only original and old once. I want to hang on to that as long as I can.

A pro paint job is not in the budget anytime soon. But when it does happen I'm going Anvil gray with full Cherokee Chief graphics. I already have the graphics. A buddy of mine has a sign shop. He did em for cost of materials for me.

I kind of like the what do they call it, rat rod? Where mechanically the car is great but the body looks original and weathered. Kind of a sleeper.
I appreciate original look over glossed up and freshly painted. Probably because I can't really do body work myself and my experience is the better the paint the more neglected the motor. Again I'm prejudice because painting a car and fixing dents is my weak point in repairing cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back