NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 12th, 2020, 20:41
NAXJA Forum User

Question What's next for a mild trail rig?

I recently acquired a 2000 xj with 66k miles. It came with a RE 3.5 lift, a 1" TC drop and 31's. It does not have a SYE . The things needing attention are the motor mounts ,bump stops and some surface rust in spotty places underneath. It has stock front and rear bumpers and stock steering components. It drives very well with no apparent vibrations at any speed. The engine is also completely stock. I guess my question is where would you spend your money next other than the items needing immediate attention? Oh, and the interior is mint with a new stereo and speakers. This thing will only see mild to medium trails. Thoughts?
Old November 12th, 2020, 21:02
Stranger

Re: What's next for a mild trail rig?

66K miles? Nice find.

My biggest concern would be the 0331 head. If you are not aware of the issues surrounding this head then do a search. It is prone to cracking. A TUPY head is generally the fix. Some folks get lucky and have no issues with the 0331 head, but it is a known problem.

If motor mounts are bad don't be surprised if it turns out you also have a cracked exhaust manifold. Be on the lookout for that.

As to what to modify next, I would say drive it until it shows you what you need to do next. Save your money until you know you need to do something, and then you will know you are making the right decision.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old November 12th, 2020, 21:06
NAXJA Forum User

Winch and recovery .
Then rear locker
Old November 13th, 2020, 04:54
Freakish Hand Strength

1) SYE. The Transfer Case drop is hard on the motor mounts and if you still have the low pinion D30 front axle the t-case drop increases the front pinion/drive line angles.
2) Skid plates.

3) Recovery points front and rear, and recovery gear, ( winches are highly optional if you adventure off-road with others ).

4) Rear locker if you have a Chry 8.25, 8.25 axle swap if you have a D35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.

Last edited by Tim_MN; November 13th, 2020 at 11:09.
Old November 13th, 2020, 06:47
NAXJA Member

Steering box brace and possibly a trackbar brace. Brake upgrade, I'd start with pads. Black Magic. I'd keep an eye on the head and coolant. Then change if necessary. I'd probably change the harmonic balancer. Or at least check the rubber elastomer for cracks. Paint a white stripe between the hub and outer ring. Check it periodically.
Old November 13th, 2020, 07:18
NAXJA Forum User

Tell me why it would make it worse on the low pinion front axle to lessen driveline angle by barely lowering transmission.

I used to think a winch was un needed since getting one ive since decided that its an essential tool i won't be without. Been thinking about doing a winch on my pickup to front bumper and a head ache rack rear winch
Old November 13th, 2020, 07:32
Freakish Hand Strength

If you lower the t-case rear output, the front output is raised.

For mild to medium trails, and with an adult attitude driver, a winch IMO, is not essential, as long as there is a properly equipped group of 4x4's to assist should there be a mishap, or a stuck. That money could be put to more useful basic upgrades.

Equipment choices are personal, based upon ones needs, and terrain commonly traveled. I have been stuck plenty, but have never had a "Bubba, hold my beer and watch this" episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old November 13th, 2020, 07:43
NAXJA Forum User

It raises the front output shaft in "degree's" and since the LP D30 axle is already set 2* lower than a HP D30 it just makes things worse faster.
Old November 13th, 2020, 07:45
NAXJA Forum User

zj tie rod
Old November 13th, 2020, 08:55
NAXJA Forum User

So rear output goes to rear axle front out put to front axle.

If transmission is lowered 1" at the cross member the entire unit pivots on the motor mounts and lowers. Everything the same. Possible un measurable angle change due to pivoting in motor mounts

Tcase clocking would be the only way to actually change things to front vs rear axle.

Most xj on forums or driving around built however handy don't go off road so in that case a winch is not needed or a locker or lift or anything.

In that case only survival gear is needed for break downs or survival through plague in shit.
Old November 13th, 2020, 10:09
NAXJA Member

Seat time, a wheeling buddy, and gasoline.

Maybe front tow hooks, rock sliders, a rear hitch before the more medium trails.
G & G Offroad and Auto Repair can make you think you can run the Box!
Old November 13th, 2020, 10:46
#OCDINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
1) SYE. The Transfer Case drop is hard on the motor mounts and if you still have the low pinion D30 front axle the t-case drop increases the front pinion angle.

2) Skid plates.

3) Recovery points front and rear, and recovery gear, ( winches are highly optional if you adventure off-road with others ).

4) Rear locker if you have a Chry 8.25, 8.25 axle swap if you have a D35.
What Tim here said.
2000 XJ 5.5" Lift w/Deavers and TNT arms, 30 front w/Super 30 kit, ARB, truss, etc. 44 rear w/35 spline alloys, ARB, Wilwood discs, truss, etc. Hooligan stiffeners front to rear, Hooligan fenders, Trailready front bumper, JCR rear bumper w/tire carrier. *under construction*
Old November 13th, 2020, 11:56
NAXJA Member #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Seat time, a wheeling buddy, and gasoline.

Maybe front tow hooks, rock sliders, a rear hitch before the more medium trails.
This. Absolutely this.

What Phil listed is all you need right now - Add the recovery points (and maybe sliders and a gas tank skid), get out on the trails, and learn what it can do with what it already has. I guarantee you'll be amazed at what it can conquer.

Driving experience and a good knowledge of your rig (how it handles, the sounds it makes as you flex the suspension, how each of the bits underneath sound/feel when you bang them into rocks ) will take you a LONG way on the trails. Once you've gotten a good feel for how it works now and how you drive, you'll be in a better position to judge which mods are the best ones for YOU to do next.

Jeep mods are like tools - you don't always need the biggest ones. Even when you do, you can often get more of out of the big ones if you've learned to wield the smaller ones to maximum effect first...
Old November 13th, 2020, 15:38
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks guys. Thinking about new bumpers. Also a SYE. Any suggestions ? the SYE will probably be next.
Old November 13th, 2020, 19:28
Stranger

If you are asking which SYE, JB Conversions gets my vote.

Here is my perspective on them: https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1144685

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox