NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 19th, 2020, 06:05
NAXJA Forum User

Adjustable Lower Control Arms

Hello, I am new to this forum and have a question about adjustable control arms.

I originally installed my LCAs with the jam nut on the frame side. However, I recently took my '99 XJ into a reputable local off road shop and they said I had them backwards and the jam nut side should be low at the axle. He said I'd only notice a difference when off road possibly and not on pavement. Something about the mounting brackets and the different style ends of the LCAs.

Most that I have seen seems to have the jam nut on the high side, although I have seen it both ways.

What do you know about this?

The photo is of a mechanic on YT installing them on the axle side, but I have seen other mechanics reversing them.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old November 19th, 2020, 06:23
NAXJA Forum User

I think I may have just answered my own question (emphasizing the word, "think").

It seems as though when the suspension is articulating, you'd want the more flexible joint to be on the axle side, where as the less flexible bushing joint would be up at the frame where not as much flex is happening.

Sounds logical enough, right?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old November 19th, 2020, 06:33
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Adjustable Lower Control Arms

If the arms are straight it really doesn't matter, if the arms have any shape then that's built in for bracket clearance and generally the shorter end goes to the axle. Joint types (poly/rubber/flex-joint) do not make any difference.
Old November 19th, 2020, 07:34
NAXJA Forum User

Im running poly on the axle side because feel it doesn't flex theres. Heims on frame side because these joints need to follow the axle side.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old November 19th, 2020, 07:37
NAXJA Forum User

Upper is heims both ends. Mostly so I can adjust castor by turning bar. Don't have to take anything apart.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old November 19th, 2020, 07:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX-J99 View Post
However, I recently took my '99 XJ into a reputable local off road shop and they said I had them backwards and the jam nut side should be low at the axle. He said I'd only notice a difference when off road possibly and not on pavement. Something about the mounting brackets and the different style ends of the LCAs.
That's very questionable!
Old November 19th, 2020, 08:28
Stranger

My bet is that you were dealing with someone who simply wanted everything assembled so it was more convenient for him to work on it. Putting the jam nuts up higher meant he had less clearance up there.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old November 19th, 2020, 09:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
My bet is that you were dealing with someone who simply wanted everything assembled so it was more convenient for him to work on it. Putting the jam nuts up higher meant he had less clearance up there.
I actually had already installed it with the heim joints on the upside. So he commented that they were reversed when I had it in there for something else.
Old November 19th, 2020, 10:20
NAXJA Member

Which shop? Baertrax?