• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Requesting opinions...

200K XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this is where I'm at currently with my heap (as far as wheel and lift specs)

2011-03-08_12-50-44_706.jpg

TJ Moab's with stock 245(31") MTR's
3" RC coils with 2" spacers up front (approx. 4.5-5" actual lift)
3.5" ProComp packs (with degree shims and rubber bushings) at the rear. (approx. 3.5-4" actual lift)
--Considering a 1" shackle for the rear. Although I do have about 150lbs of crap in the back right now--

So here's my dilemma:
The MTR's only have a few months of life left in them before I need to replace them. Since I gotta get new tires I figure why not step up in size a little? I've narrowed my choice down to BFG KM2's at around 32".

Should I,
(A.) stick with the 16" Moab's and step up to 265's

(B.)pull the 15x8" soft 8's outta my garage and slap on some 32x11.50's. The 32x11.50's are around $20 less each and I've always liked the look of black soft8's.

The Moab's have also been a favorite of mine but if I keep them they are getting powder coated gloss black to go better with my beige paint.

I'm not dead set on KM2's I just really dig the looks and lets be honest, aesthetics have a lot to do with our tire choices. I'm open to other brands as long as it's an M/T not an A/T tire. Oh, and I'm really not a fan of the look of newer MTR's so don't mention those please.

So, I'm requesting your opinion on my situation. Feel free to share your thoughts, pics, and suggestions regarding which direction I should go.

Please save the posts on how I should search for other threads with pics and setups because I have. Plus, I'm asking for everyone's opinion on MY rig based on the info and pics I have provided.

Last edited:
i'm driving around on nearly bald 31s and hate the power loss. i dont know how people drive around ungeared on even bigger tires. on my old jeep i drove for like 4 days with 33s and 3.55s and wanted to microwave kittens in rage.

i'm driving around on nearly bald 31s and hate the power loss. i dont know how people drive around ungeared on even bigger tires. on my old jeep i drove for like 4 days with 33s and 3.55s and wanted to microwave kittens in rage.

The power loss from stock rubber to these 245's wasn't that bad but it is noticeable for sure. Gears are definitely part of the plan

I, too, had first-gen MT/Rs (also thanks to TJ Rubicon take-off goodness) and opted to stick with 245/75R16 tires when I replaced them... I'm running a very similar amount of lift (~4.5" net from a 3.5" RE lift) and love the fact that I don't need to tear up any sheetmetal.

IMG_0181.jpg

detours_slimline_sm12.jpg

If gears are in your very-near future, the 32's aren't a bad idea... But ultimately it's about what you want. I like not having any bump stops :)

Wait, who am I kidding. I need some.

It seems one draw back (IMO) with the 16" tires I'm looking at is the E load range rating. It's just a little over kill for a lightweight vehicle like the XJ. I guess it also explains the added cost and weight of the 265's vs the 15" 32x11.5's. (Although I don't currently worry about flats!)

and suggestions regarding which direction I should go.
==========================================
Pick what is important to you. Type of wheeling or DD, cost, looks whatever, then build you XJ to suite. But first pick.

and suggestions regarding which direction I should go.
==========================================
Pick what is important to you. Type of wheeling or DD, cost, looks whatever, then build you XJ to suite. But first pick.

I realize you're offering sound advice but considering I'm going to go with the same brand/type/size tire, weather it's 16" or 15", application isn't what's in question, it's aesthetics. I guess this thread is more or less a poll. I'm interested in what people would choose given the options I've listed.

It seems one draw back (IMO) with the 16" tires I'm looking at is the E load range rating. It's just a little over kill for a lightweight vehicle like the XJ. I guess it also explains the added cost and weight of the 265's vs the 15" 32x11.5's. (Although I don't currently worry about flats!)

Go to Duratrac's,my 265/75/16's are C rated,love them!

Back