• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airtank & location....STUPID Q.

Xtreme XJ

NAXJA Member #1138
NAXJA Member
Where are you guys mounting airtanks ? I want a med. size tank and a outside location to mount it..... rear bumper is not an option....front won't work either. I'm thinking about under the Dr. side behind the crossmember.... across from the cat/muffler. I could use some tubing welded together to make it tight to the underside. Now for the potential STUPID! part.
How about using thick walled PVC 3" or 4" ? max. psi. around 125.....too much?
I know several folks who've used the smaller stuff in their garage.
Not look'n for a verbal whip'n just some thoughts and alittle education. Go easy....
Thanks....
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

PVC would melt if positioned right next to the cat and muffler wouldn't it?

Xtreme XJ said:
I'm thinking about under the Dr. side behind the crossmember.... across from the cat/muffler.
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ) [/B]

How about ABS ? Better .... Worse ? Temps. might be an issue under the rig. Free space is a premium in my XJ.
Thanks !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Most plastics get pretty brittle (expand/contract?) at low temps. I most always over engineer everything that holds pressure by 50%, if it´s load bearing 100%.
A couple of 4 foot pipes, 4 inches ID, would hold about 8 cubic feet of air (empty). Could be run outside the frame rails on either side. Guess that´s why decent sized rock rails, make such handy air tanks. If your gonna put the tanks under there anyway, might as well make them dual use.
The only issues I have with air tanks, is pressure relief valves and/or pressure fuses (preferably both). Have seen the aftermath of numerous, run away hydrolic pumps, air and refrigerant compressors. Had a partner loose an eye, to a cylinder that blew at 60 PSI (rated for 300). Have seen 18" to 2 foot sections of pipe, turned to shrapnel.
They make liquid coatings for the inside of hot water heating systems, that would probably be a good idea for steel (home made tanks). Un-coated air tanks rust from the inside out.
My answer to on board air, is a small compressor (home made/York) driven by a gas motor and mounted on a small tank. Twin pressure relief valves vent the excess air (low tech.). Portable, can be moved from vehicle to vehicle (on wheels), about the same size as a medium suit case, produces enough air to drive an impact wrench in spurts (air ratchet continiously). Fills up a tire jiffy quick, fills an air pillow (air jack) in about ten minutes or so.

Back