NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 14th, 2019, 07:54
NAXJA Forum User

Want 1-2in lift - leaf vs spacer/shackles

I have a stock '98 XJ being pressed into daily driver duties that is in bad need of new leaf springs (still wearing the originals). I'm assuming it could also do with new coils in front.

I'd like to get a small lift out of the replacement, but it looks like anything under 3" is usually a spacer/shackle solution. I also want to stay under 2" want to avoid any driveline issues right now - all bets off later on.
Since I need new springs anyway, is there a package that will give me a little bit of lift over stock?

Is there any reason to avoid a shackle/spacer setup?

Thanks for the help - Dan
Old April 14th, 2019, 08:08
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Want 1-2in lift - leaf vs spacer/shackles

Spacers are fine for the front, for the rear I would recommend doing a "bastard" pack. There is nothing wrong with doing shackles in the rear.
Old April 14th, 2019, 08:55
Freakish Hand Strength

Extended shackles on stock leaf springs aggravates the stock leaf springs tendency to sag and then invert.

A bastard pack is low cost and effective. If you buy an add-a-leaf, be sure to buy a full length leaf, the short overload leaf AAL types are very rough riding.

Coils spring spacers are fine, if the old coils still measure to stock specifications, they do not need replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Old April 14th, 2019, 09:06
NAXJA Forum User

Pm me. Ive got used old man emu coils that gave me about 1.5 in Oceanside. Then I used upcountry leafs that also gave me about that in the rear, but I cut those up. I loved that combo.
Old April 15th, 2019, 05:48
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the input. I might just stay stock for now and go big once instead of incrementally getting to where I want.

ljobbins - thanks for the offer - I'll think about it and PM you later.