• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommended Winch

SwiftShot

NAXJA Forum User
What brand and size do you recommend. Looks like I just closed the deal on 2001 xj. I mostly go in the mountains in Wa. Will often be 4x4 as the only vehicle. Cell does work in the area and I do have friends that could come in if needed. Just wondering do I need a 9000lbs or could I go lighter.

General rule is 1.5 X the max weight of the vehicle, passengers and cargo.
You could possibly get by with a 6000lbs winch, but I would recommend at least an 8000lbs.
Warn is pretty much top of the heep now.

Ray H said:
General rule is 1.5 X the max weight of the vehicle, passengers and cargo.
You could possibly get by with a 6000lbs winch, but I would recommend at least an 8000lbs.
Warn is pretty much top of the heep now.

X2
I just go 2x the weight of the vehicle.
Since the XJ is somewhere around ~3500 (ballpark) an 8000lb winch should do.

Post up in the NW forums and find a wheelin' partner or two. We have a list of contacts and there have been rescue runs in the recent past. My cel doesn't work in very many of the places I go to off road you're lucky if yours does. With that said I agree on the 8000lb being a target rating. Everybody has a favorite brand... Costco carries a Champion brand at a budget price but reports are that it is noisy and slow.

do your research get a good brand, some stall much lower than their advertised levels, leaving you stuck. after talking to a Warn rep, I'll probably go with a Tabor (Warn's cheaper line, a little slower, but still good). IMO, speed doesn't really matter, as long as you get unstuck eventually.

8k or 9k # milemarker, cheap and reliable but slow as hell. 8k# chicago(harbor freight) is a rebadged MM and can be found on sale for 300ish

speaking of harbor freight and winches.. their cheap winch plates are just defective milemarker ones, so if you get one that's dented or something but still works, enjoy the sweet discount. :)

Back