• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar

cdeleo

NAXJA Forum User
So I have no front sway bar or sway bar end links on my 99 XJ. It has a 3.5" lift on 33x12.5s and It's very annoying to drive without them because it gets a little hard to control sometimes. Does anyone have recommendations for a sway bar and end link that won't go over $300-$400 for both? Trying to keep the budget low for now, any help is appreciated!

Maybe the correct shock valving, I'm at 5.5" and haven't run with my sway-bar connected in over a decade. If I was to buy one it would only be the Currie Anti-rock.

I'd snag a stock bar from the junkyard and then buy a set of RE disconnects.

I very strongly recommend having a functional front sway bar on your 4x4's You may never need it for an emergency avoidance maneuver to save your Jeep, and/or your life, or you might need it this afternoon.

A stock swaybar from the junkyard will be low cost and I recommend JKS adjustable swaybar disconnects that are installed on my XJ and on my CJ-7.

Last edited:
I very strongly recommend having a functional sway bar on your 4x4's You may never need it for an emergency avoidance maneuver to save your Jeep, and/or your life, or you might need it this afternoon.
A stock swaybar from the junkyard will be low cost and I recommend JKS disconnects that are installed on my XJ and on my CJ-7.

Agreed. I ditched mine for a bit because my new front axle didn't have sway bar mounts. Finally ponied up to have some installed and I'm way more comfortable driving it long distances now, which means more wheeling.

I have a stock sway bar on both XJs. One is at 4.5 lift the other a 2" lift. I also have Kevin's Off-road polyurethane sway bar bushings. I have some extended links on the 4.5. I am planning just using stock ZJ links. If your doing much off-roading, then the JKS Extended one recommended would be a good choice.
I hear that the ZJ's swaybar is an upgrade. All my XJs have the same bar. I think 1" or so.

Is there an optimum/preferred angle for the swaybar? Have JKS discos and with new springs wonder if adjustment is needed.
346f05883de4ed43a136890e6f4d8fbe.jpg
1c9a3ebe179fbf345c4873e4dd548fd7.jpg
215469e4acbd75e1faaf4993ec95f3dd.jpg

P.S. Not finding how to start a thread from my phone on Tap-A-Talk.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Your links are definitely to long and you need relocation brackets for the swaybar. The swaybar should be close to flat right at the link attachment point. No, if your want that much wheel travel with a connected swaybar you will have to go Currie anti-rock.

Your links are definitely to long and you need relocation brackets for the swaybar. The swaybar should be close to flat right at the link attachment point. No, if your want that much wheel travel with a connected swaybar you will have to go Currie anti-rock.
I disconnect when on the trail but still ordered the relo brackets.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Looks like time for swaybar relocation brackets. I'm guessing the discos should be close to vertical; mine are at 16* and close to the springs.

The factory XJ swaybar is meant to have the ends of the bar horizontal when the vehicle is at ride height. Yours is not off by that much.

Swaybar relocation brackets are generally intended to move the bar down to allow using factory-length sway bar connects. Most are not designed to move the bar fore/aft. One exception is the RC relo bracket. Its slotted to allow fore/aft adjustment, but it also moves the bar down further than most.

I had to install swaybar relo brackets to allow my swaybar to clear my IronMan4x4 steering box brace. I also was having the same issue with you of having the swaybar come very close to the spring, so I slotted my BWE sway bar relo bracket. I think I was able to move the bar 1/4" further away from the spring which was plenty.

Anyhow, I'd say that if the sway bar is not hitting your springs, I'd leave it alone. However, if want your sway bar ends to be level, you might want to consider just hacking down the length of your JKS quick disconnects and rewelding. Or maybe JKS will sell you a shorter connector. It looks like they have a variety of lengths.

Re-reading JKS instructions online - they want 10 - 20* angle with 15* "Ideal". My first rough measurement was 16* so I'll check more closely with a straight-edge according to their drawing for better accuracy. Looks like I might have a little adjustment left to shorten slightly. With around 1/2" clearance to the spring and the ride just fine, I might call that good. Was no issue; I just wondered if there was an ideal.

Thanks.

I have 5.5" of lift, JKS swaybar disconnects adjusted to about 15*, and the sway bar has not been relocated. I did have to install longer aftermarket axle side sway bar link mounts due to tie rod end contact with the stock mounts after the lift.

I would recommend sway bar relocation brackets only if there is a need. If the control arm adjustment causes the coil springs to bow, and they are contacting the sway bar links, work on that.

If the control arm adjustment causes the coil springs to bow, and they are contacting the sway bar links, work on that.

Yup, just finished at the alignment shop resolving the bowed spring issue. I have 1/4 - 1/2" clearance from coil to swaybar links now. No knocking that I could hear when on the road or a mild trail and connected. Any all day trail runs I disco and air down.

Thanks.

disconnecting and reconnecting front sway bar makes a world of difference, safe highway handling, verses off road articulation ability. I urge you to get a disconnectable front sway bar, you wont regret it!

Mine doesn't feel much different on the road with and without the sway bar hooked up, but I'm sure it helps reduce oversteer tendency.

disconnecting and reconnecting front sway bar makes a world of difference, safe highway handling, verses off road articulation ability. I urge you to get a disconnectable front sway bar, you wont regret it!

I like my JKS discos especially when off road. However, I don' know which improves the ride most, the disco or airing down.

Disco's don't do much of anything regarding ride only extreme flexing, airing the tires down is a must.

Good shocks play a huge roll in all around driveabilty.

I dont run any sway bars my front shocks are tuned for my vehicle and application aswell part of that tuning takes into consideration that I dont run sway bars.

Soft street shocks most likely need help in controlling body roll both on and off road

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back